No Monitor Detected with a new HD 7770

ThatBeardedGuy

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hey guys, in advance i want to let you know i am not to highly versed in computer lingo so excuse anything i get wrong, I bought a new ASUS HD7770 DirectCU to replace my AMD HD 7450 today yet when i plug it in i dont get anything on my monitor, just black.

Im using my tv as my monitor currently which is an LG 32" HD LCD TV and im connecting to the graphics card with an HDMI cable. I tried using the DVI to VGA adapter but that had no difference. Everything is on inside, the fans are spinning, the red light on the card is on (though i dont know if its supposed to be green or not), and everything is working fine as well.

This is my current setup. just a stock HP Pavillion.
Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.10GHz
8.00 GB of RAM
64-bit OS

Am i missing something here? please if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kyle.

ThatBeardedGuy

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Wow, i am an idiot. I didn't know that it needed that seeing how it didn't come with one and there's no instructions on the box telling you what to put where. I will pick one up tomorrow and see if that works because there isn't a conveneintly placed one kicking around in the tower is there?

Thanks.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

I had the same problem when i bought my 6770 a while ago. If it still doesn't work make sure you're not overloading one rail if the PSU has multiple rails, I put the CPU and GPU on the same rail and could not power my computer.

Good Luck! Enjoy your card!

ThatBeardedGuy

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
what do you mean by rail? see im not a smart man when it comes to the hardware side of these things as you can see. I thought you just plug it in to the PCIe x16 port and it would be all peaches and cream.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Some power supplies are split into two rails, so roughly half of the power is distributed on each rail. You may have a single-rail model so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it still doesn't work after you plug it in, than try using another 6 pin connector.

Can you post some information on your PSU?