Sign in with
Your question

Random shutdown, GPU fan @ full speed, Now, not starting again.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2012 2:52:31 AM

Hello

My PC is custom build and here are the specs

intel core i3 530 cpu
intel dh55tc motherboard
8 gb ram (2 + 2 + 4gb)ddr3
hd 5830 1 gb gpu
corsair cx600 v2 smps

So the thing is these weird random shutdowns these days, whenever i regular work on my PC basically, my pc shuts down itself, first monitor goes off then gpu fan goes to 100% speed (maybe more than 100%), HDD led goes very dim, power led stays off, led inside motherboard stays on. To shut this thing down i have to forcefully cut its power source.

The main thing is my PC doesn't even starts again after a shutdown like this, when i press the power button to start it again, all the components inside cpu starts for about a second then goes off and hdd led stays on but very dim.

To start this thing i have tried a lot of things including cleaning up the mess of wires, cleaning up dust, removing and re-placing the ram, replace sata cables. At last, i thought it is my smps which has given up (bought this april 2012) but i tested it with hair pin test and it worked perfectly (connected atx green wire to any of the black ones).

The trick which worked for me is that, i removed atx connector from motherboard than pushed the power button(i know it won't start) then turned off the power and re-plugged the atx connector to its place, now my PC started like before after pressing the power button.

Now i want to ask the expects what do u think is the problem? Is it hardware related (My GPU or Motherboard) or some software incompatibility? I am asking about incompatibility because i am using windows 8 release preview since 4 months, i never had such an issue with windows 7 or any previous version of windows.

Now this problem is expanding, whenever i shutdown my PC, it is putting me on the same situation like when that random shutdown happens. I have to always remove atx plug from CPU to start my machine. Please tell me any permanent solution to this. How do I know if my gpu or motherboard is bad or some other hardware?

Please help me if u know anything about this problem!!!!!

Thanks in advanced
November 3, 2012 3:53:44 AM

krahul44 said:
Hello

intel core i3 530 cpu
intel dh55tc motherboard
hd 5830 1 gb gpu
corsair cx600 v2 smps

So the thing is these weird random shutdowns these days, whenever i regular work on my PC basically, my pc shuts down itself, first monitor goes off then gpu fan goes to 100% speed (maybe more than 100%), HDD led goes very dim, power led stays off, led inside motherboard stays on. To shut this thing down i have to forcefully cut its power source.

The main thing is my PC doesn't even starts again after a shutdown like this, when i press the power button to start it again, all the components inside cpu starts for about a second then goes off and hdd led stays on but very dim.

To start this thing i have tried a lot of things including cleaning up the mess of wires, cleaning up dust, removing and re-placing the ram, replace sata cables. At last, i thought it is my smps which has given up (bought this april 2012) but i tested it with hair pin test and it worked perfectly (connected atx green wire to any of the black ones).

The trick which worked for me is that, i removed atx connector from motherboard than pushed the power button(i know it won't start) then turned off the power and re-plugged the atx connector to its place, now my PC started like before after pressing the power button.

Now i want to ask the expects what do u think is the problem? Is it hardware related (My GPU or Motherboard) or some software incompatibility? I am asking about incompatibility because i am using windows 8 release preview since 4 months, i never had such an issue with windows 7 or any previous version of windows.

Now this problem is expanding, whenever i shutdown my PC, it is putting me on the same situation like when that random shutdown happens. I have to always remove atx plug from CPU to start my machine. Please tell me any permanent solution to this. How do I know if my gpu or motherboard is bad or some other hardware?

Thanks in advanced

The issue looks similar to what i experienced a few days ago.
The symptoms were:

1)Random Shutdowns(power off).
2)System fan suddenly makes lot of noice and system crashes after that.
3)CPU, GPU, and PSU fans starts for a second and shuts off even on a cold boot ( cold boot means when system is shut for more than an hour ).
and several other sysmptoms.

but i noticed that when i kept my CPU verticaly tilted at 90 degrees the chances of powering on was more.
It got solved when i changed the PSU.
I think yours is the similar problem...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351206-28-computer-po...

Go to the above thread of mine.you will get some nice answers for your problem.
Hope this will help
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:57:00 AM

Thanks for your reply,

As u mentioned my psu, I tested that with hair pin test for about a week and it worked without stopping or anything problem. I can get it replaced but It needs to give me some king of problem, so that I can tell the service person to replace it bcoz of that issue.

When my PC runs, it runs like normal and fast like never before, Like normal desktop PC, Recently Installed windows 8 fresh install again. No third party software is installed on it now.
I tested running games without any amd drivers, I ran Trainz simulator 12, ghost recon advanced warfighter 2, these two ran pretty good at high settings without any lag,

Now, When I clicked on saints row the third icon it happened again, the screen went black, hdd led gone dim, motherboard led was on and gpu fan was on normal speed this time.

It didn't restarted no matter what I do unless I unplug and re-plug the atx connector from the motherboard.

What do u think is wrong with my PC? Which hardware is bad?
I am facing this issue since months.

Please help if u can...
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 1:33:59 AM

If you have any old working PSU or get your friends PSU and test your system.
If the problem still remains than remove all the add-on components from your system like GPU,additional RAM,extra cooling fan,additional HDD,Flash drives etc etc and run your system with bare minimum components.If the system runs normally than add one by one of your removed components and check.If one of your component is faulty than after placing that in your system it will show problems so you will come to know the culprit.
Also check your ATX pin throughly,It may have some lose connection somewere.
If you are an hardware expert than remove all of the components and replace it once again including all the cables inside and behind the cabinet.change the cables if possible.Check inside the cabinet throughly for any kind of small burn or short circuit.

Most of the time the PSU is the culprit but it is very difficult to identify.Hair Pin test may pass, but still the PSU can be faulty.
m
l
November 4, 2012 2:11:45 AM

krahul44 said:
Hello

intel core i3 530 cpu
intel dh55tc motherboard
hd 5830 1 gb gpu
corsair cx600 v2 smps

Thanks in advanced

This sounds like a failing power supply. I've dealt with similar machines that use similar power supplies. Unplug the main power and plug it back in and it comes right up. Works for a while and starts throwing errors. Capacitors could be going bad. That seems to be the most common problem with power supplies. I'd find another PSU and see if that solves your problem. Also, try spraying contact cleaner on the ATX plug from the PSU. It could be dirty and that WILL cause problems. Like others say, check all connections. I like to remove all connections and plug them back in just to be sure. Be sure you have a PSU that is strong enough to support all components as well.
m
l
November 4, 2012 8:55:06 AM

Well, recently when I cleaned my cabinet, I removed all the components as well as cpu from its socket. I am no hardware expert but I am used to this type of work as i bought and installed all the components myself once i started shopping online. Please tell me more if you are sure that its my Smps's problem. Do u think it could be some kind of triggering circuit inside smps? Tell me if its really my smps is faulty i will get it replaced for another different model as its already got replaced before. My first smps was not v2 it was cx600 only and it gave up in a month after purchasing. Then sent that to service center and they replaced it with cx600 v2. Tell me which model should i take? coz i am not going to opt for the same model again.
m
l
November 4, 2012 4:25:37 PM

krahul44 said:
Well, recently when I cleaned my cabinet, I removed all the components as well as cpu from its socket. I am no hardware expert but I am used to this type of work as i bought and installed all the components myself once i started shopping online. Please tell me more if you are sure that its my Smps's problem. Do u think it could be some kind of triggering circuit inside smps? Tell me if its really my smps is faulty i will get it replaced for another different model as its already got replaced before. My first smps was not v2 it was cx600 only and it gave up in a month after purchasing. Then sent that to service center and they replaced it with cx600 v2. Tell me which model should i take? coz i am not going to opt for the same model again.

By "smps," I will assume you mean power supply. Everything has a failure rate off the line to begin with. I noticed the cx600 is discontinued, so I would get the v2. It could be a better power supply altogether and have fixed certain issues in the previous version. Make sure your PSU doesn't get too hot, becuase everything in their has a max temp before like everything else. Remember, the cooler the electricity can be, the better. Plus, it'll last longer.

Also, I guess it could be your CPU. Make sure it is properly seated. Since you said you had removed it as well when cleaning, check it again for bent pins. If you removed the heat sink and fan from the CPU, make sure that there is enough thermal paste and that its making a solid connection so the HSF can dissipate heat properly.
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:44:34 AM

Yes, by smps I meant switched mode power supply or psu (power supply unit).

Yes, cx600 is discontinued, The thing is that I originally bought cx600 in march 2012 and it gave up in April, I was so disappointed with the efficiency of this smps/psu. I asked for refund and he gave me nothing more than the number of service center. I contacted service center and they told me to send power supply to them. I did that and waited for about a week. I got a call from them telling me cx600 isn't in their stock for replacement so I have to wait more. I waited a week more then got call again telling me my smps/psu is shipped to my address and giving me the consignment no. And what I received it was cx600 v2. Using v2 up until now and it is a lot more reliable than the previous one.
I played Max Payne 3 for about 3 hours and everything worked pretty well. That issue didn't occurred again up until now.

About the CPU, I installed it properly the way it was and there was no thermal paste in between the fan and the microprocessor since its been installed for the first time. I wonder why that sales guy didn't used thermal paste when he installed it? Do u think its necessary?
I have two 80mm fans (old cabinet) for inlet and outlet airflow inside cabinet. If I have to buy thermal paste which should take? I have no idea about this...

For your convenience I added open hardware temperature report...
I took this when my pc was running 4+ hours...

Open Hardware Monitor Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version: 0.5.1.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Process Type: 64-Bit

Sensors

|
+- Intel DH55TC (/mainboard)
| |
| +- Winbond W83627DHG-P (/lpc/w83627dhgp)
| | +- CPU VCore : 0.936 0.896 1.056 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/0)
| | +- Voltage #2 : 0.744 0.744 0.744 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/1)
| | +- AVCC : 3.344 3.344 3.344 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/2)
| | +- 3VCC : 3.344 3.344 3.36 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/3)
| | +- Voltage #5 : 1.28 1.28 1.28 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/4)
| | +- Voltage #6 : 0.752 0.752 0.76 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/5)
| | +- Voltage #7 : 1.064 1.056 1.064 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/6)
| | +- 3VSB : 3.344 3.344 3.344 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/voltage/7)
| | +- CPU : 47.5 47.5 48.5 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/temperature/0)
| | +- System : 39 38 39 (/lpc/w83627dhgp/temperature/2)
|
+- Intel Core i3 530 (/intelcpu/0)
| +- Bus Speed : 133 133 133.009 (/intelcpu/0/clock/0)
| +- CPU Core #1 : 1463 1197 2926.2 (/intelcpu/0/clock/1)
| +- CPU Core #2 : 1463 1197 2926 (/intelcpu/0/clock/2)
| +- CPU Core #1 : 39 39 43 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/0)
| +- CPU Core #2 : 40 39 45 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/1)
| +- CPU Total : 0.390625 0 25 (/intelcpu/0/load/0)
| +- CPU Core #1 : 0 0 33.3333 (/intelcpu/0/load/1)
| +- CPU Core #2 : 0.78125 0 16.6667 (/intelcpu/0/load/2)
|
+- Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 (/ram)
| +- Memory : 23.3594 23.3503 23.4129 (/ram/load/0)
| +- Used Memory : 1.83713 1.83641 1.84134 (/ram/data/0)
| +- Available Memory : 6.0275 6.02329 6.02821 (/ram/data/1)
|
+- ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (/atigpu/0)
| +- GPU Core : 0.95 0.95 0.95 (/atigpu/0/voltage/0)
| +- GPU Core : 157 157 157 (/atigpu/0/clock/0)
| +- GPU Memory : 300 300 300 (/atigpu/0/clock/1)
| +- GPU Core : 42 41.5 42.5 (/atigpu/0/temperature/0)
| +- GPU Core : 0 0 3 (/atigpu/0/load/0)
| +- GPU Fan : 1185 1176 1185 (/atigpu/0/fan/0)
| +- GPU Fan : 21 21 21 (/atigpu/0/control/0)
|
+- WDC WD3200AAJS-00YZCA0 (/hdd/0)
| +- Temperature : 38 38 38 (/hdd/0/temperature/0)
| +- Used Space : 46.5518 46.5517 46.5518 (/hdd/0/load/0)
|
+- WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 (/hdd/1)
| +- Temperature : 39 38 39 (/hdd/1/temperature/0)
| +- Used Space : 76.9891 76.9891 76.9891 (/hdd/1/load/0)

Also Screen shots of the same
http://i50.tinypic.com/2i7l0jl.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/24etmxl.jpg
m
l
!