chunkyxsurprise

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello, I was wondering what everyone thought on my build.

AMD FX 8320 cpu
Gigabyte AMD 3GB HD 7950 Windforce gpu
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 mobo
Corsair HX 1000watt psu
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8GB ram
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed (usb3.0) case
Additonal 140mm x2 and 120mm x2 cooler master fans (blue led)
ASUS DVD/CD Burner
Windows 8 64bit OS
Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Paste

Solution
155 what? I'm guessing that's USD or GBP? If it's the former then yeah that's a pretty decent deal. In £, not so much. As for GPU vs CPU, it's really down to the game. GTA4 and Flight Sim X are classic examples of games that couldn't give a damn what graphics card you have. Starcraft 2 also applies there. Other games are the opposite. And many games are reliant on both. But GPU is certainly the more important, just don't disregard CPU.

As for the PSU, it's generally recommended you don't get too much more than you'll need, for the sake of your energy bill. If your system is drawing 300 watts then a 1KW PSU will draw, say 600 watts, because it's well under load and therefore, less efficient. PSUs deliver their best efficiency towards...

4745454b

Titan
Because why get 80FPS when you can have almost 120. (why need? Perhaps 3d?)

skyrim%201920.png

Same is true with WoW.

world%20of%20warcraft%201920.png

It's fine to go AMD if you want. But if you have the coin why buy the weaker CPU? I'd go i5 and a lower CPU as well. Even if you wanted to run two 7950s a 750W is more then enough. No need for a 1kW.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
1000w psu is indeed too much, even 850w psu is way overkill. Unless your planning to put that psu into future builds, I'd say go for something in the 550-650w, go for 750w if your planning for future sli/CF. As far as a 8320 vs 8350, the only difference is .5 ghz which can be overcome with just overclocking the 8320.

+1 to that. The old 'spend more for less performance because it's still sufficiently fast' argument just doesn't hold up. If there's something better for the same price, get that :)

chunkyxsurprise

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Well as for the FX8320, im simply getting it because I got a solid deal on it, 155 for the CPU and i only paid 140 for the mobo. So I doubt ill get a comparable deal via intel. I'll look into it though! :) Additionally for the 1000W PSU i got lucky on another deal and only paid 110 so should I keep that or save at most 10 bucks for a 750 watt TX series? Additioanlly, unless im mistaken, isn't gaming performance far more dependent upon the GPU and not the CPU? (potential eye-finity user here too :) Also to sweeten the deal, I got 4 games for free with this build so far too. Assasins Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs

155 what? I'm guessing that's USD or GBP? If it's the former then yeah that's a pretty decent deal. In £, not so much. As for GPU vs CPU, it's really down to the game. GTA4 and Flight Sim X are classic examples of games that couldn't give a damn what graphics card you have. Starcraft 2 also applies there. Other games are the opposite. And many games are reliant on both. But GPU is certainly the more important, just don't disregard CPU.

As for the PSU, it's generally recommended you don't get too much more than you'll need, for the sake of your energy bill. If your system is drawing 300 watts then a 1KW PSU will draw, say 600 watts, because it's well under load and therefore, less efficient. PSUs deliver their best efficiency towards load. A 500 watt PSU by comparison might only draw 350 watts at the wall to power that 300 watts of hardware, saving you 250 watts, or 2kWh of energy costs at 8 hours usage a day. The counter to that argument is that is you ever install dual GTX690s or something, you'll need to buy a new PSU and the PSU cost will be greater than the cost of the energy you saved. People have put a lot of thought into this stuff :)

Solution

4745454b

Titan
If you've already got then the question is moot. You have, so no point in changing now. Have you already got all this and are just asking? If so you could have saved yourself some grief and asked this first before you started buying. $110 might be a good deal on a 1kW PSU, but as sam attempted to point out you could end up costing yourself in the long run. I would rather get a gold rated 750W PSU for $100 then a bronze 1kW for $110. (even if they were the same price I'd still get the gold.)

For most games the GPU does matter more. But as I tried to show in my posts above why "settle" for 80FPS when something else can get more? Add in the better power numbers for Intel and the gains that can be had by OCing and the i5s look even better.