Computer makes a snap sound on startup.

Frozenpenguin

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello everyone, my problem is that whenever I start up the computer I hear a sound like something snapping or a fast crack noise. This hasen't happened to me before. It started happening during the last 6 start ups. Is this normal in any way? Could It be the case stretching after I turn it on? I turned it on and off 6 times in 1 day(I only use my PC once or twice a week) and the problem was still there.Also,My PC is really new(2 months). Please Help! :sweat: :sweat:

djosbun

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Unplug all your case fans (not your cpu fan) and boot the system. Noise gone? If so, hook up one fan at a time and find the faulty one.

Or boot up with the case side panel off and see if you can hear where it's coming from.

Hashwagon

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
When does the noise occur? Does it happen immediately after pushing the power button? It's either a fan or hard drive. To verify that it's not the hard drive you can disconnect it's power cable and fire it up again.

Frozenpenguin

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

The sound happens about 6 to 9 seconds after the computer starts.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
could be not causing software issue but could be harmfull to your hardware that why you have to find what cause this,you could also use a magnifier and look at the motherboard parts for something abnormal like a bubble capacitor and resistor or dark spot on coil and board pcb .

Frozenpenguin

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

1 more thing, it was more like a pop. It sounded like a bridge creaking or something stretching for a quik "k" sound. It can also sounds like the wood "poping" in an old house. Kind of like if you sit in a room for awhile and you hear a pop. I wasn't very loud though.Maybe you guys thought that it lasted for awhile, it actually lasted for a quick millisecond like a not too loud POP. If it is a broken capacator, how could that have happened? I have a very high quality surge protecter and my temps are low. My motherboard is a gigabyte z77-Ds3h and PSU is antec 750w high current gamer. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If it's not a bad capacitor then it is your dedicated sound card, that's if you have one. You may have never noticed it until now. I'd highly recommend flashing around for a bad capacitor on your motherboard, dedicated cards, or in your PSU. They can be easy to find, but lets hope you don't have any bad caps.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
it could be just a momentary spark when you power up the system if you could take everything out of the case look under the motherboard for a burn spot and try boot the system will all parts out of the case only with the minimal parts to boot to see if you get that spark ?

try placing it in another slot. sometime slots share irq and could been an issue with the sound card in that slot. also check to see how close the sound card is to any power cables or the gpu. if there was a power cable going over the card could been cross talk.

Latest posts