Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7850 Poor Performance

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2012 6:22:28 AM

I am thinking about upgrading from my MSI GTX 260 to a better card. My brother has an MSI Twin Frozr II HD 7850. I was going to buy that card anyways so he let me test his out to see if I liked it.

First I uninstalled Nvidia drivers then installed CCC. I got the latest drivers.

I started GTA IV because thats the game I was getting the lowest FPS on. I benchmarked my GTX 260 at 1360x768, high settings, 4x AF, FXAA and 50 view distance and 50 detail distance and got around 30fps. Now I installed the 7850 and overclocked it to 1050mhz core clock and 1350mhz on the memory clock and I'm only getting around 40fps to 45fps, rarely 50fps. I expected this card to easily pull off 60fps constant.

More about : radeon 7850 poor performance

November 3, 2012 7:39:14 AM

GTA IV is kinda heavy, also a bit CPU intensive as well, maybe you could get a better fps with a faster cpu.
Are you sure this GPU can pull 60fps in that game ? remember, best way to test a GPU is with benchmark softwares like 3Dmark.
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:39:46 AM

SharperZeroCool said:
GTA IV is kinda heavy, also a bit CPU intensive as well, maybe you could get a better fps with a faster cpu.
Are you sure this GPU can pull 60fps in that game ? remember, best way to test a GPU is with benchmark softwares like 3Dmark.

Sorry for really late reply, but my GTX 260 192 core OC was getting around 30fps at those same settings, so I would think so.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 7:50:49 AM

Just because the GPU could theoretically get 60 fps on that game, doesn't mean the rest of the system can. And in GTA IV the limiting factor is almost always the CPU.
m
l
January 6, 2013 11:32:24 PM

Sunius said:
Just because the GPU could theoretically get 60 fps on that game, doesn't mean the rest of the system can. And in GTA IV the limiting factor is almost always the CPU.

+1. Being a console port, and extremely unoptimized (being up to the point that adding texture packs that make the graphics better actually sometimes improve performance), the GPU isn't the most important for GTA IV. What is your processor?
m
l
January 7, 2013 2:44:34 AM

60 FPS constant in GTA IV is pretty much impossible. The game is just that badly coded, and won't run all that great regardless of what hardware you have. As said above, the game is very much CPU bound. Even with a powerful CPU, you will likely have an average framerate between 40 and 50 FPS, with some dips into the 30s. If you want to really put the 7850 to the test, try a different game.
m
l
!