major problem

G

i just upgraded an old computer,which has windows 98,with a new processor, motherboard, and a graphics card. when i first started it up it was finding all th new hardware. it did this a few times. then i went to load the drivers for the graphics card and when i restarted it it wouldn't start up in normal mode. it will start uup in Safe mode only.
PPLLEEAASSEE HHEELLPP!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bleeke on 01/27/02 04:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Double-check the vid card drivers, that could be the issue. Also... what chipset did the old board have and what chipset does the new board have? This will have a big impact on how well Win 98 will work after an upgrade.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

i took the driver for the graphics card out and it started up then i went to install the rest of the drivers but the graphics card andd had to restart it. then it wouldn't sart in normaal mode agian.

G

i pretty much found the problem. itss the r=graphics card. everytime it recoignizes it it wont start up right. now what do i doo????

Option one: Start again, making sure to install the cards one at a time, re-starting and installing required software as you go. This may work as you're not asking you're system to detect everything at once.

Option two: lose the new gfx card. Try the old on, or another is possible and see if this fixes things.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

Did you install a new hard drive or keep the old one ? If you kept the old one with everything still on it and didn't delete the ENUM folder in the registry, you could be having hardware conflicts. This stores all your old hardware info. Go to the registry HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE_, then ENUM. Delete this folder and restart computer. It will be recreated and your hardware will be reinstalled.

What video card? I know the ATi Radeon had problems in Windows 98SE with the drivers that originally came with the CD. Every time you installed them, you would get a windows protection error. The only thing you could do was download and install the latest drivers.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>