Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 question

Last response: in Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:21:24 PM

i have windows 8 pro 64bit and my computer wont run 8gb of ram only will run 4gb of ram windows vista ran all 8gb of ram but with windows 8 it wont even start it will just keep going to the boot menu but going in to the system it can reconize all 8gb but wont start idk if im missing something or not or if there is something to do to make it runif u got any idea plz help :( 

More about : windows question

a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:35:07 PM

It is hard to follow your run-on sentence.

go into Windows, and System properties and verify that it is indeed, running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:40:55 PM

You may need to troubleshoot your RAM. Start by removing all the RAM then try booting with only one RAM stick at a time. If they all work then put them back in one pair at a time. You can use memtest86 http://memtest86.com/ to test the ram.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 7:41:11 PM

I second that because if it shows 4Gb of memory and not 8gb, the likely cause is your mistaken and have a 32bit version of windows 8. Even if it shows in system information 8Gb of memory is installed because it is a 32bit os the max it can access and use is about 4Gb of memory space, the Os will the the limiting factor here. Likely the case Vista was an x64 version. Since you have made no changes or moved any ram modules or anything else. If not the case make sure memory re-mapping is enabled in your bios setting as it may be the cause. It allows the Os if x64 to see the memory and use it.
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:50:15 PM

i have already tried doing one ram at a time and yes its windows 8 pro and 64-bit os i just double checked
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:02:12 PM

try putting install cd in pc and boot from that, then try a repair install

m
l
February 2, 2013 8:17:55 PM

And did you check the memory re-mapping feature was enabled in the bios settings of the motherboard as I pointed out to you.

If not go and check, and enable it in the bios if turned off, as it will limit the amount of addressable memory windows 8 os can see and access for use with the OS.

That would be the only other cause. F1 key, F2 key or the Del key to enter the bios after, or on the post or boot screen.

Change the setting to on, or enabled save the settings before exiting the bios.
The computer will reset then check the system info in windows 8, 8gb should show and windows should use it..

The only other setting to limit the factor of windows and how much memory that is displayed or used has to do with the settings you put in ms config.

There is a box in there where you can force windows 8 and 7 and Vista to use a set space of memory for sole use to the OS running, or programs, or limit the total overall size of memory the system can use. even if you have 8gb so for example if you set the max to 4gb it would only ever use and show 4gb of the system memory even if 8gb was fitted into the memory slots.

Located in Msconfig window under the boot, advanced options and the maximum memory box. If it is ticked untick it, click on ok and restart.

You can access msconfig by using the search option, and typing msconfig in there and pressing enter to check when running windows.

m
l
February 2, 2013 10:27:31 PM

weaselman said:
And did you check the memory re-mapping feature was enabled in the bios settings of the motherboard as I pointed out to you.

If not go and check, and enable it in the bios if turned off, as it will limit the amount of addressable memory windows 8 os can see and access for use with the OS.

That would be the only other cause. F1 key, F2 key or the Del key to enter the bios after, or on the post or boot screen.

Change the setting to on, or enabled save the settings before exiting the bios.
The computer will reset then check the system info in windows 8, 8gb should show and windows should use it..

The only other setting to limit the factor of windows and how much memory that is displayed or used has to do with the settings you put in ms config.

There is a box in there where you can force windows 8 and 7 and Vista to use a set space of memory for sole use to the OS running, or programs, or limit the total overall size of memory the system can use. even if you have 8gb so for example if you set the max to 4gb it would only ever use and show 4gb of the system memory even if 8gb was fitted into the memory slots.

Located in Msconfig window under the boot, advanced options and the maximum memory box. If it is ticked untick it, click on ok and restart.

You can access msconfig by using the search option, and typing msconfig in there and pressing enter to check when running windows.

i looked on bios on my comp there is no memory re-mapping feature on it -_-
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 12:01:22 AM

heyman226 said:
i have windows 8 pro 64bit and my computer wont run 8gb of ram only will run 4gb of ram windows vista ran all 8gb of ram but with windows 8 it wont even start it will just keep going to the boot menu but going in to the system it can reconize all 8gb but wont start idk if im missing something or not or if there is something to do to make it runif u got any idea plz help :( 

would you post this detail for us so we can better help you. this is your system or memory, not reading as there are no issues with memory and 8.
m
l
February 3, 2013 5:37:44 PM

it wont let me put the picture in here but if my computer dosent have memory remapping is there any thing i can do to let my computer start with 8gb
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:40:07 PM

Win 7 and Win 8 can be very twitchy when it comes to RAM. I suspect that Win 8 has found a fault that was not acknowledged by Vista. I had a similar problem on a desktop. Win 7 would recognize half the RAM and Win 8 would simply bin the install. The problem was the motherboard. It is assumed it was the memory controller.

It may be that your laptop requires a BIOS update. Check to see if one is available. Be cautious a BIOS upgrade can be a fraught process.
m
l
February 4, 2013 7:07:21 PM

i have already updated my bios and its not that its only using half the ram it wont even start when i have 8gb in it it just sits on the boot screen
m
l
February 4, 2013 9:00:02 PM

That indicates to me that the issue is hardware related. You may need to swap the RAM out and try another brand. Its not uncommon.
m
l
February 6, 2013 2:48:03 AM

Try running msconfig, click on the Boot tab > Advanced options... then see if the Maximum Memory is checked. If it is checked, un-check it
m
l
!