Closed Solved

Computer instant reboots after installing new GPU (No errors)

Hello, Tom's Hardware community.

I recently started upgrading my desktop computer, and so far all components, besides the PSU is less then 1 month old.

My spec at the moment is as following:

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz
w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
RAM - Kingston Hyper 8GB DDR3, 1600 MHz
MB - Gigabyte H77M-D3H, LGA1155 Socket
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 660 - Model N660OC-2GD
PSU - FH-POWER 600W (Can't Google it :S)

Yesterday i received my graphic card as the last component on my to-buy list. Up untill then i ran with no GPU on a newly formatted hard drive. But after installing my GPU, problems started happening:
Every time i boot up games like Diablo 3 and World Of Tanks with high settings on, after a certain amount of time (varies from 10-60 min, i dont really see any pattern) the machine just shuts down, and instantly reboot. No Error messages (besides the usual Do-you-want-to-start-in-safetymode option) and no Blue Screen. The only other games i have tried was Walking Dead Episode 4, which i completed in 1 go without shut downs.

What i have done so far:

- I have made sure all drivers are up to date, using Driver Detective
- I have monitored the GPU temp, and it never gets past 60 degrees Celsius. I have even had shut downs at 50 playing WoT.
- I have run 2 OCCT stress tests. One for GPU:3D errors for an hour, and a Power Supply test for an hour. None which gave any unusual results
- I have updated my BIOS to the latest version useing recommended programs and procedures from Gigabytes homepage.

I got a feeling the problem is my PSU, but as far as i can read, a 600W PSU should do the trick. My previous GPU was a GTX 460, which uses the same power in idle and under load as my new GTX 660.

Does anyone have any suggestions for more troubleshooting and solutions? I don't really want to just go and try to buy a new PSU, since i'm already stretching my budget.

Thank you in advance!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer instant reboots installing errors
  1. Did you connect the 6-pin power connector from your power supply unit to your graphics card?
  2. Yeah did you make every signle connection from the gpu to psu?
  3. The GPU is connected with a PCI-Express power cable similar to this one:
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/371995432/6_Pin_PCI_Express_to_Two.html
  4. You should connect it without the adapter - just directly from the power supply unit.
  5. I'm positive i did that allready, but i got a shut down from that as well. I switched to the adapter since the wire colors (brown and yellow) made me unsure if it was right. I can switch back easily
  6. Best answer
    The card might be faulty. Do you have a good friend or neighbor in whose PC you could check whether it happens as well with that card?
  7. I'll see if my neighbor will try out my card :) I'll post an update when i get around to it. Thx for the help!
  8. No problem :).
  9. After tinkering around with my Graphic card in other PCs without being able to pin-point any errors on it, i finally threw in the towel and ordered a new 750 W PSU, and i'm happy to say it fixed everything.
    I have been playing under full load for +8 hours at a time, temperatures not exceeding 55 degrees C for a couple of days now, so i guess that was my problem.

So if anyone else is experiencing similar problems as i had, it might be your PSU

Now.. how do i close this thread and select best answer? I don't see any obvious buttons to click :)
  10. Try it now.
  11. TY Mousemonkey :)
  12. NP. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Computer Graphics