Request for Printer Advice

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 28, 2005 7:10:33 AM

As I finally upgrade from my antique 2 megapixel camera to a decent DSLR, it
seems like the right time to upgrade from my little HP inkjet. Having
gotten good advice from this group in the past, I'm putting in a request for
help.

What printer characteristics are important? Resolution? -- and if so, what
is the minimum?

What print technology should I be looking for? Should I be considering dye
sublimation printers? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Any specific recommendations as tomake and model? I'd like to go to at
least 11x14 inches.

Thanks in advance.

Zaz

More about : request printer advice

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:10:34 AM

Zazanos wrote:

> Should I be considering dye
> sublimation printers?
>
> I'd like to go to at
> least 11x14 inches.

I'm thinking about dye subs too but 11x14 is not an option for an
individual with those AFAIK. From what I can tell though if you can live
with 8x10 dye sub is a geat way to go. I think the inkjets are all quite
close for image quality, Epson is the leader but others offer faster
printing and more affordable inks. I think HP is good at making sturdy
reliable machines (old school perspective) if you go for their higher
end products but apparently most folks disagree these days.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:10:33 GMT, "Zazanos" <zazanos@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>As I finally upgrade from my antique 2 megapixel camera to a decent DSLR, it
>seems like the right time to upgrade from my little HP inkjet. Having
>gotten good advice from this group in the past, I'm putting in a request for
>help.
>
>What printer characteristics are important? Resolution? -- and if so, what
>is the minimum?
>
>What print technology should I be looking for? Should I be considering dye
>sublimation printers? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
>
>Any specific recommendations as tomake and model? I'd like to go to at
>least 11x14 inches.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Zaz

I wouldn't worry about resolution - it's all bull anyway! Some printers claim
1400 or more DPI which is insanity... commercial houses use 300 or so...

I'm using a new HP 9600 which can do 13x19 I think, or borderless 11x17.

It has a 6 ink color option I haven't tried yet, but the photo cartridge came
with it... and I bought 11x17 glossy photo paper to try... soon... soon... :)

Right now I'm using it for engineering drawings and I'm quite happy with it, the
few photos I did were great even using the 4 ink cartridge set.

The 6 ink should be awesome!
May 28, 2005 7:10:34 AM

You want a printer that uses colorfast inks. The best site I've ever
seen for researching printers is http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html

If I were in the market for a printer, I'd probably try to find a way
to scrape up the dough for an Epson R2400. You can read about the new
ink Epson is using in this printer here:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/May05/Ultrachrome%20K3.ht...

Also, you may seriously want to consider not buying a printer at all,
and instead using either Costco or Sam's Club. You can download ICC
printer profiles for your local store, and the Fuji Frontier or Nortisu
(depending on the store) prints are excellent. $0.16 for a 4x6 is very
cost effective.

Good luck.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:51:27 PM

"Zazanos" <zazanos@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> As I finally upgrade from my antique 2 megapixel camera to a decent DSLR,
it
> seems like the right time to upgrade from my little HP inkjet. Having
> gotten good advice from this group in the past, I'm putting in a request
for
> help.
>
> What printer characteristics are important? Resolution? -- and if so,
what
> is the minimum?
>
> What print technology should I be looking for? Should I be considering
dye
> sublimation printers? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
>
> Any specific recommendations as tomake and model? I'd like to go to at
> least 11x14 inches.

I've been very happy with the 11x14 in prints from my canon i9900 and it can
go bigger. It's pretty fast too.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:31:57 PM

> Any specific recommendations as tomake and model? I'd like to go to at
> least 11x14 inches.

You need a wide format inkjet. I am in a similar position and am leaning
heavily towards the Epson R1800. It costs about $550, which is $50 more than
comparable HP or Canon printers. My local Office Depot had a wide format HP
printer (6720 I think) on sale last week for $399, so there are some deals
to be found.

I'm leaning towards Epson because it seems to be the de facto standard for
inkjet printing. Epson uses pigment-based inks, which are reported to be the
most archival. It's also easy to get specialty third party inks (i.e. four
cartridge B&W and archival inks) for Epson printers, even the basic C86
model. None of the custom ink makers (MediaStreet, InkjetMall) support HP or
Canon printers.

I have an HP 3720, just a plain office Deskjet, that outputs great photos up
to 8x10 from my Canon 20D. My reasons for considering the R1800 are: 1.)
individual ink tanks (8); 2.) specialty ink availability; 3.) borderless
11x14 prints; 4.) prints up to 44" with roll papers. I also plan on buying
an Epson C86 ($100) to use solely for B&W printing.

My research indicates there's not much overall cost savings from using
individual ink tanks, but I don't like having to discard an expensive
cartridge/printhead when only one ink runs out. (Must be the Scot in me.)
Using Sams or Costco for family snapshots is a good idea. The cost for a
premium HP 4x6 sheet of paper is 30 cents, so printing at home would cost at
least twice as much as at Sams. You could reduce costs somewhat by printing
three 4x6s on an 8.5x11 sheet, but not much.

Good luck!

Sonrise
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:52:57 PM

wrote:

>As I finally upgrade from my antique 2 megapixel camera to a decent DSLR, it
>seems like the right time to upgrade from my little HP inkjet. Having
>gotten good advice from this group in the past, I'm putting in a request for
>help.
>
>What printer characteristics are important? Resolution? -- and if so, what
>is the minimum?
>
>What print technology should I be looking for? Should I be considering dye
>sublimation printers? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
>
>Any specific recommendations as tomake and model? I'd like to go to at
>least 11x14 inches.

Epson R1800....

"The booksellers are generous liberal-minded men."

Samuel Johnson
"Life of Johnson" (J. Boswell), Vol. I, 1756
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:00:39 PM

<snip>

> Also, you may seriously want to consider not buying a printer at all,
> and instead using either Costco or Sam's Club. You can download ICC
> printer profiles for your local store, and the Fuji Frontier or Nortisu
> (depending on the store) prints are excellent. $0.16 for a 4x6 is very
> cost effective.

This would be my advice too.

In slight (maybe pedantic) disagreement with Bob, inkjet printer resolution
isn't bull. It's f*ing misleading that's what it is!
You see, to make every pixel the correct colour several droplets of
different coloured inks are required. These droplets are the dots in the
"dpi" that go to make up the pixels in the "ppi". For example a four-colour
inkjet may be labelled as being 1200dpi which equates to 300ppi...

Misleading isn't it!

Best regards,

Craig.
!