No power in new build.

JestRCat

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Okay I am pretty computer savvy and built my home computer, and now I decided to help my friend build his. Now, I feel like my head is about to explode because I've ran into a specific problem that has been plaguing me all f'ing day. I hook up all the front panels to the 16 pin connector (including the reset, power, and LED) as indicated by the manual so imagine how surprised I was when I tried to turn on the computer and got NO POWER! It was as if the computer wasn't even plugged in.

I ran a couple of test(s) (including testing the "plug in" wire, the outlet, and made sure the connection was tight on the motherboard) and thought it HAD to be the power supply. His power supply was old so I thought I had this under control. Oh, how wrong I was. He went out and bought a BRAND NEW PSU. (A nice one at that.) We got it home, and I happily hooked it up and... Nothing... Same deal. Acted like it was getting no power. :eek:

I have went over the manual at least 30 times (probably more than that), and the motherboard, and AMD x2 are no more than 5 months old. Just to clarify I have the CPU Power Supply (4 pin) plugged in, and the 24 pin on the other side of the board. This porject has turned into a complete nightmare. I even tried to reset the CMOS by putting the jumper on 2-3 and then put it back on 1-2 after a few seconds.

Any help would be so very greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone..

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Have you tried shorting the the two pins where front panels connect, for power? That would eliminate any possibility of a problem there. It could be something way more complicated but I thought I'd throw that suggestion at ya.

JestRCat

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

What do you mean by shorting the pin(s)? See it's my belief that where the power button hooks into the board; there is something fishy there. (Thus, your idea may be a good one.)

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I don't really know if I know what I'm talking about.. I believe if you touch something metal (a screw driver was the example I saw used) to the two places your front panel power connectors go, it should power on the system. I don't know if "short"ing was the proper terminology.

JestRCat

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have never been this stumped while working on a computer (well since I built my first machine) LOL! Chain there is no place to put a screwdriver head. I do appreciate you trying to help though. It is greatly appreciated. :D

JestRCat

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Good luck on your new build. If you need any help (as funny as it may seem) just let me know, and I might be able to talk you through some of the basic problems you run into. I'm reading over the manual for about the thousand'th time. Oh, the good ole manual. LOL!!!

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I can already see myself on Christmas day stumped over a stupid little thing I forgot to do. I know it's gonna happen. I appreciate that though. Good luck reading through the manual and I hope you find the problem.