Need Help with Motherboard and case connecters.

Craziestsock

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
So today I started my very first build of a computer. When it came to hooking up the case connectors I had no idea on how to do this. I have a MSI 760GM-P23 Motherboard with a Cooler Master Storm Scout case. Im just hoping someone can help me understand where the connecters from the case go onto the motherboard. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Solution
OK, if you don't have anything to plug into JFP2 from the case, such as a speaker connector or a power LED indicator, that's not a problem. There are usually more pins on the motherboard than you have case connectors for, they provide them because they don't know what cases people will have.

As to JSP1, don't worry about it, you don't need it. It's in case you want to install a little "faceplate" on the back of your PC to provide a S/PDIF connection -- if you did, you would connect the cable to the JSP1 pins on the motherboard. Forget about it.

The JAUD1 block on the motherboard is for connecting the front panel audio connectors. In most of my motherboards I have two blocks, one for AC'97 and one for HDAudio, but you seem to have...

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
The cables from the case should have little tiny letters on the plastic ends. Your motherboard manual has instructions for where to connect these connectors on the motherboard. There will be a block of connectors together, typically called an FP block (front panel block). For example, there will be one for the power switch (typically labeled "PS" on the end of the connector from the case). The Reset connector from the case might have an "RS" printed on the end of the connector. The motherboard manual will show you where to plug these case connnectors into on the motherboard. Read your motherboard manual. It is your friend.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
The little connector blocks on the motherboard that are labeled as JUSB1 and JUSB2 are where you plug in the USB cables from the case. Hopefully the USB cables from the case are all together in a block, with a missing pin, which you can use as a "key" when connecting the block to either JUSB1 or JUSB2 (that way you can only connect them one way, and cannot connect them "wrong"). This is explained on page 18 of your motherboard manual.

The little blocks on the motherboard that are labeled JFP1 and JFP2 are where you plug in the loose case connectors/cables, which I was referring to earlier (Reset, Power Switch, etc.) You can see the diagram for that on page 17 of your motherboard manual.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It was very helpful to post your motherboard manual on-line!

Craziestsock

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I hate to ask this but would it be too much for the specific pins for the power and the other case stuff?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I don't understand what you're asking. If you are asking about connecting other cables, such as from the power supply to the motherboard, the motherboard manual shows you where they need to go. I can't emphasize enough that you need to actually read the motherboard manual all the way through, from the beginning to the end. Why would you try to build a computer without reading the manual first? I'm not going to go through and point out every page where there is a diagram and directions for connecting cables. Read the manual and look at the diagram pictures. It's really not that hard.

If, after reading the manual, you have specific questions about specific instructions or diagrams, I'll help. But not if you won't read the manual yourself.

Craziestsock

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Ok well I read the manual and I have a couple connecters that are confusing me. I hooked everything up to JFP1 but when it comes to JFP2 what do I hook into that? I dont have anymore connections coming from the case. Then the JSP1 port doesnt have anything connected to it. I have a connection that comes from the case that has HD Audio on in and it has another connection on it called AC'97. Which one do I hook into JAud1? What about the other one?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
OK, if you don't have anything to plug into JFP2 from the case, such as a speaker connector or a power LED indicator, that's not a problem. There are usually more pins on the motherboard than you have case connectors for, they provide them because they don't know what cases people will have.

As to JSP1, don't worry about it, you don't need it. It's in case you want to install a little "faceplate" on the back of your PC to provide a S/PDIF connection -- if you did, you would connect the cable to the JSP1 pins on the motherboard. Forget about it.

The JAUD1 block on the motherboard is for connecting the front panel audio connectors. In most of my motherboards I have two blocks, one for AC'97 and one for HDAudio, but you seem to have only one. If the connectors coming from the front of the case are stuck together in a block, see which one fits the JAUD1 block on the motherboard (there will be a missing pin, used as a "key"). If they are identical (in my experience they are), then just pick one. I usually use HDAudio but I don't think it matters. If you pick HDAudio to connect to the JAUD1 block and you get no audio on the front ports of your case, then pull those and plug the AC'97 case connectors into that JAUD1 block.

You will most likely have more pins on the motherboard than you will have connectors to plug into them, such as an old COM port (who uses serial com ports anymore?). Don't let it bother you, sometimes it's for backward compatibility with old formats (such as a floppy disk port), sometimes it's just because the motherboard maker wants to cover all their bases for most equipment people might have.

Solution

Craziestsock

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

OK Ill plug the audio in and I forgot to ask about the case fans that have lights in them. I plug those into the molex from the PSU right? And the hard drive will also get a PSU Molex plug? And I found another cable that is coming from my case that is a sata plug what the heck is that for?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Yes, plug the case fans into molex from the PSU, same for the HDD. The SATA plug from the case is probably for an e-SATA connection. The case should have a port on it for plugging external SATA (e-SATA) drives into it. Those are much faster than connecting an external drive via USB 2, but now that USB3 is out, e-SATA will probably fade away.