Last Minute Decision- FX8120 vs FX8350 vs Intel i5

Tutsirai

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Ok I need to make a last minute decision here, looking for good input. By the way Im new to building computers.

Today I was just getting ready to buy these parts.

Processor & Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1169950

Case & RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1170061

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426

Total Build= $643.47

...........However I just happened to find this post on craigslist
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/sys/3476034252.html

I've spoken with the guy and he guarantees that everything works, he's given me a deal on the FX8120/Mobo/PSU all for 200$. Im not buying anything else from him aside from these things.

Now after doing all my research I've heard just about the same story everywhere. "Stay away from the Bulldozer models they are garbage, Intel i5/i7 all the way" and "The Bulldozers are crap for gaming, just look at the benchmarks"

I was dead set on buying the FX8350, the great reviews and significant increase in performance from the Bulldozers, as well as the positive feedback from gamers had me sold. Also I've been told getting 8-cores now is investing in the future.

After doing some further research this time with the help of Youtube, I'm beginning to have some real doubts when it comes to the reliability of these reviews and benchmarks out there. I've just finished watching about 10 videos of people playing most of these "Benchmark standard" games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis with max setting using the FX8120 overclocked and getting a reasonable FPS at about 50-70.

Are the Intel i5/i7's really necessary? It seems that they're overkill to the average gamer and more suited for the Hardcore gaming enthusiasts that buy $300-400 GPU's.

Sorry for all the ranting but I felt like you needed to know where I stand in this whole CPU debacle in order for you to give me a thorough and supportive explanation with your answer to my question.

So, after all that said, I'm a just an average PC user who likes to play games not necessarily on the best of the best settings possible. I use Photoshop and Sony Vegas. Aside from these 3 things I only use my computer for web browsing and microsoft office for school projects and assignments. Through your perspective, aside from the case and the gpu is it worth getting this deal off of craigslist and saving me a good couple hundred dollars, Or sticking to my original build?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. :)

Solution
If you're looking to not really push the processor or play any games where the processor bottlenecks the performance (Most games are GPU limited), The bulldozer does fine. If it's a budget machine, I think that would be a decent deal.
The PSU is crap though and he probably knows it. TBH, I'd shell out an extra $80 for the 8350 +MoBo.

sarire

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
honestly this comes down to your budget because I would just go all out with a 300$ intel if I have tte cash, but if your budget is tight then the craigslist deal could be worth it

SuzumiyaHaruhi

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
If you're looking to not really push the processor or play any games where the processor bottlenecks the performance (Most games are GPU limited), The bulldozer does fine. If it's a budget machine, I think that would be a decent deal.
The PSU is crap though and he probably knows it. TBH, I'd shell out an extra $80 for the 8350 +MoBo.

Solution

Tutsirai

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for a little more input than that. My main concern here is what solid reason is there to buy an i5 or even the FX8350? From what I've found the 8120 is not as bad a CPU that people make it out to be, and for the price Im getting it at it seems like it can do all of the above things I mentioned without a hassle. For an average gamer like myself is the i5 an overhaul of power that I really wont ever use or need? These are some of the things Im worried about.

What Im really trying to get at here is simple. Is the i5/FX3850 so much better than the FX8120 that I should I skip out on the $200 deal and continue with my original build or even upgrade to an i5? Is it that great?

Tutsirai

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for replying, Im on a 500$ budget so I'm almost trying to convince myself that the the extra $100 for those CPU's aren't worth it.

What kind of cooling does the 8350 need to remain cool and stable even while overclocked?

Also would my original PSU be the best option?

Tutsirai

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks, didnt see this when I replied back.

SuzumiyaHaruhi

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Yeah your original PSU is better
Ultra PSU's have this tendancy to fail.