Is it worth upgrading from GeForce GTX 285 to GTX 470?

gammarik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
Hi all

I am having some issues with my GeForce GTX 285 (Driver crashes, which is probably from overload) so i am looking to upgrade. I have read some reviews and card comparisons, and found the GTX 470. I can see that it supports DirectX 11 which my 285 doesn't and it is a bit faster. But is it worth upgrading from my 285 to the 470? Or should i go for the 480? Or maybe some whole other card. I am on a very tight budget, so i can't go much higher price vise. I am using Premiere Pro CS5.5 for video editing, so i would prefer a NVidia card over other brands, but as far as i know there is a hack that adds support for other cards as well, so other brands ain't a total no.

Also, i haven't been able to find any system requirements for the 470, so if anyone could link me to them, i would be happy :)

Thanks in advance!

/gammarik

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Whether it's worth it is all up to you, but what are the prices on the 470 and 480 you're looking at? Those cards are both two generations old, so there might be something a little newer that outperforms them for the same price.

gammarik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012

I have found them quite cheap on Ebay (around 60-80 EUR): I am looking to buy them used, to save money. My current one is also from Ebay, but it just haven't been able to keep up with the gaming evolution ;)