Japanese phone in Australia

Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes to
Australia ?

What does she need, just a Sim Card, and a prepaid card ?

Any help much appreciatted.
2 answers Last reply
More about japanese phone australia

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, at 16:14:14 [GMT +1000] (17:14:14 Tuesday, 1 February
    2005 where I live) "Tony" wrote:

    > Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes to
    > Australia ?

    No. Japanese system not compatible with anywhere else in the world.,
    AFAIIA, except the new Vodaphone 3G service.

    And then that one has limited coverage anyway, and in Oz would have to roam
    on Orange / 3. I ma not sure if they would just sell you a sim card for
    their service.

    --
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

    > Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes
    > Australia ?

    Short answer, no. Japanese phones won't work in Australia at all. GSM
    900/1800 only.
    CDMA is available, also WCDMA, however prepaid for these are hideously
    overpriced.

    There are multitudes of prepaid handsets though, starting from $39AUD for a
    base model Motorola and $30 vodafone red SIM starter kit, through to buying
    an upper-spec handset for hundreds or thousands and popping in a prepaid sim
    card.

    If she intends to be calling home a lot, get a $79 Vodafone SuperCap,
    includes $500/calls a month and 20min int'l calls free, from memory.

    -mark

Nokia Cell Phones Phones Japanese