Japanese phone in Australia

Last response: in Brands
Share
February 1, 2005 7:14:14 PM

Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes to
Australia ?

What does she need, just a Sim Card, and a prepaid card ?

Any help much appreciatted.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:19:03 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, at 16:14:14 [GMT +1000] (17:14:14 Tuesday, 1 February
2005 where I live) "Tony" wrote:

> Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes to
> Australia ?

No. Japanese system not compatible with anywhere else in the world.,
AFAIIA, except the new Vodaphone 3G service.

And then that one has limited coverage anyway, and in Oz would have to roam
on Orange / 3. I ma not sure if they would just sell you a sim card for
their service.

--
90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
February 2, 2005 2:39:17 AM

> Can my girlfriend use her cellphone ( She lives in Japan ) when she comes
> Australia ?

Short answer, no. Japanese phones won't work in Australia at all. GSM
900/1800 only.
CDMA is available, also WCDMA, however prepaid for these are hideously
overpriced.

There are multitudes of prepaid handsets though, starting from $39AUD for a
base model Motorola and $30 vodafone red SIM starter kit, through to buying
an upper-spec handset for hundreds or thousands and popping in a prepaid sim
card.

If she intends to be calling home a lot, get a $79 Vodafone SuperCap,
includes $500/calls a month and 20min int'l calls free, from memory.

-mark
!