Sign in with
Your question

AMD 7970 Lag / Jitter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 3, 2012 6:13:42 PM

I recently got an upgrade for my computer the ATI 7970 to play WoW in full ultra, however when doing so I get jitter (like a small pause for maybe half a second), this jitter only seems to occur whenever there is a big change in the models being displayed, like entering a building or leaving a building. My setup is:

2 x 120Gb SSD in Raid (240Gb at 1Gb/sec)
8Gb Memory at 1600Mhz (don't know if that needs upgrading?)
AMD Phenom x6 Black Edition at 3.2Ghz
The 7970 is my only graphics card, it's in a PCI-E 2.0 slot (though I've noticed in the catalyst control center it says max bus speed x8)

Anyways any help is greatly appreciated, I don't mind buying upgrades, just don't know what it is that needs upgrading?

Thanks in advance

More about : amd 7970 lag jitter

November 3, 2012 9:24:17 PM

Your CPU could easily be holding you back but I don't play WOW so can't comment too much other than to say I'd suspect your CPU is the problem.
November 3, 2012 9:36:51 PM

Games that have lots of characters such as BF3 64 player, mmo's like WoW are cpu demanding. Try overclocking your CPU and north bridge and see if it helps.
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 3, 2012 9:50:02 PM

I am pretty sure the others are correct it's your cpu
November 3, 2012 9:53:24 PM

As for a solution, if you have a decent motherboard with heatsinks on your VRMs, you could buy a $30 aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo and try to overclock your CPU to 3.8-4.0 GHz.

Or you could just buy a new CPU/Mobo/RAM and jump over to a Z77 board with something like an Intel i5-3570k, but that's obviously more expensive.

I'm also assuming that you're gaming at 1080p resolution or close to it.
November 7, 2012 5:44:19 PM

Thanks a lot for all the help so far guys, I've overclocked it to 3.8Ghz and got it running stable, got it to 4Ghz but it doesn't remain stable for very long so gone back to 3.8Ghz with it running fine (stress tested). Unfortunately however I'm still getting a jitter in the game even at this speed. My memory is reporting as running at only 667Mhz in CPU-Z (and in BIOS) it's DDR3 of course so that gives me 1,333Mhz but it should be running at 1,600Mhz my motherboard doesn't seem to let me set it higher though, is this something to do with the CPU? Or the motherboard? And one last problem, just to top it off the link width for the PCI slot is reporting as only x8 rather than x16, could this be the problem?
!