Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a 550ti 1024mb Run SLI With a 550ti 2048mb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2012 7:29:06 PM

As of now I have a EVGA 550ti 1024mb in my system. I was planning on getting another and running SLI but on Amazon right now they are having a whole bunch of early black friday sales so the 550ti 2048 mb is actually $15 cheaper. I was wondering if two cards would run SLI together. I remember reading somewhere that you could do this but it would run both cards at the speed of the slower one but I can not find this article and I am not sure if it was true anyway. This is my first time I will running SLI in any system that I have built so any help would much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:
I did some more research and some more looking around and I dont really want to spend anything over $150 on all this but I think if I sold my 550ti on eBay I may be able to spring for a 660. Is this a better option and will it run two monitors smoothly?
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 7:32:31 PM

the lower speed and amount of Vram would match, so in other words, you would have 1024 of total Vram as opposed to 2048 if both card had the higher amount.
btw, 550ti SLI does not scale very good in many games . . some are great but not most. i know, i looked since i have one.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:48:20 PM

Anonymous said:
the lower speed and amount of Vram would match, so in other words, you would have 1024 of total Vram as opposed to 2048 if both card had the higher amount.
btw, 550ti SLI does not scale very good in many games . . some are great but not most. i know, i looked since i have one.

I do not really play any graphically intense games and I don't mind scaling down the settings a little bit. I have never really I have never had top of the line graphics so I am used to it and I dont mind. To me all the max setting stuff is almost pointless and games look just fine at even 40-50 fps. I am getting the other 550ti mainly to give me the power to run two monitors smoothly and to give me just a little extra power while playing some games. Is there another card for about the same price that I am better off getting?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 9:48:07 PM

DBComputers said:
I do not really play any graphically intense games and I don't mind scaling down the settings a little bit. I have never really I have never had top of the line graphics so I am used to it and I dont mind. To me all the max setting stuff is almost pointless and games look just fine at even 40-50 fps. I am getting the other 550ti mainly to give me the power to run two monitors smoothly and to give me just a little extra power while playing some games. Is there another card for about the same price that I am better off getting?

Quote:
if I sold my 550ti on eBay I may be able to spring for a 660

i would try to do that. the 660 with 2Gb of vram would be over twice as good in many instances as any 550ti SLI set up.
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 10:01:38 PM

2 monitors would run perfectly fine on 1 550ti, REMEMBER you can't play games on 2.........
m
l
November 3, 2012 11:29:40 PM

Anonymous said:
Quote:
if I sold my 550ti on eBay I may be able to spring for a 660

i would try to do that. the 660 with 2Gb of vram would be over twice as good in many instances as any 550ti SLI set up.

Thanks for all the help man! One more thing though. After a bit more research, it seems that this (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-266...) is the best bang for the buck. What do you think?
m
l
November 3, 2012 11:30:21 PM

Best answer selected by DBComputers.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 12:54:44 AM

DBComputers said:
Thanks for all the help man! One more thing though. After a bit more research, it seems that this (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-266...) is the best bang for the buck. What do you think?

$279 is a bit pricey for a 660 though the signature series are great cards.

here is some tools to do a little research with

prices:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114&sort=a5

a review database:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/Graphics-Cards/NVID...

i do not see the sig series listed, those are reputable reviews sites that are linked (well for the most part reputable!)
m
l
!