Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD 7770 vs GTX 650 ti vs GTX 460 192-bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 3, 2012 7:39:10 PM

Which of these 3 choices is the best option to play games at max settings on a resolution of 1440x900?
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 11:16:49 PM

The 650 Ti really isn't worth buying compared to the only slightly more expensive Radeon 7850 1GB that wipes the floor with the 650 Ti. Against the 7770 and the 460 192 bit, the 650 Ti usually has a win, but by how much varies greatly (presumably caused mostly by of it's thin memory bus).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 11:28:02 PM

HD 7870 is totally overkill for 1440x900. A 650 Ti would be just right, and the best option I believe. Some of us don't have the extra $30 ;) 
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 11:32:52 PM

I said 7850, not 7870. Furthermore, the 7850 is not overkill for 1440x900. That's what MSAA is for and considering the fact that lower resolutions increase the usefulness of higher levels of AA because lower resolutions increase jaggies, that's not something that should be ignored.

The 650 Ti also has far inferior future-resistance (approximately equal to that of the 7770) because of its memory bus being a huge bottle-neck on it and less expansion capability due to its lack of SLI support.

Also, Anand doesn't like to use modern drivers with their comparison tool, so you're comparing a 7770 with launch drivers from like eight months ago to the 650 Ti with much newer drivers with that Anand link.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 11:48:33 PM

Oh blazorthon it's o.k. to let someone buy a gtx the world will not end.If the benchmarks are really out dated or not you would of thought of something else.It doesn't matter that much to me which card OP get's i am just the messenger.How am i suppose to know those are not up to date and furthermore if what your claiming is right pretty stupid and pointless if there, not keeping them updated what the hell are they there for then .
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2012 11:56:33 PM

blazorthon said:
I said 7850, not 7870. Furthermore, the 7850 is not overkill for 1440x900. That's what MSAA is for and considering the fact that lower resolutions increase the usefulness of higher levels of AA because lower resolutions increase jaggies, that's not something that should be ignored.

The 650 Ti also has far inferior future-resistance (approximately equal to that of the 7770) because of its memory bus being a huge bottle-neck on it and less expansion capability due to its lack of SLI support.

Also, Anand doesn't like to use modern drivers with their comparison tool, so you're comparing a 7770 with launch drivers from like eight months ago to the 650 Ti with much newer drivers with that Anand link.

Who the heck would even want to sli the 650ti!? :p 

Kinda like who the heck would sli the 550ti.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 12:00:55 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Oh blazorthon it's o.k. to let someone buy a gtx the world will not end i assure you i mean in all seriousness if the benchmarks are really out dated or not you would of thought of something else it doesn't matter that much to me which card OP get's i am just the messenger that is what the benchmarks say pretty stupid and pointless if there, not keeping them updated .


I'm not saying that OP can't get the 650 Ti or anything like that, just don't knock off other cards for reasons brought up with old, inaccurate benchmarks. Besides, its not like I've never made Nvidia recommendations. I've made plenty of GTX 660 recommendations. I simply stated some weaknesses of the 650 Ti compared to some other cards in similar performance and/or price ranges.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 12:02:05 AM

amuffin said:
Who the heck would even want to sli the 650ti!? :p 

Kinda like who the heck would sli the 550ti.


Someone with a 650 Ti one or a few years down the road would be more likely to want to get a second 650 Ti for SLI than to replace the current 650 Ti. Also, I very often see the same with 550 Ti owners, so it's not like it's not done. That's not an option like it is with the 7770 and the 7850 and I stated that.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 12:06:08 AM

blazorthon said:
I'm not saying that OP can't get the 650 Ti or anything like that, just don't knock off other cards for reasons brought up with old, inaccurate benchmarks. Besides, its not like I've never made Nvidia recommendations. I've made plenty of GTX 660 recommendations. I simply stated some weaknesses of the 650 Ti compared to some other cards in similar performance and/or price ranges.
You basically accused me of posting out dated benchmarks how the hell i am suppose to know there not up to date i mean seriously dude why do they have it if it's not up to date pretty pointless if that's really the case :pfff: 
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 12:25:01 AM

bigcyco1 said:
You basically accused me of posting out dated benchmarks how the hell i am suppose to know there not up to date i mean seriously dude why do they have it if it's not up to date pretty pointless if that's really the case :pfff: 


Anand doesn't update the drivers of that comparison tool and I pointed it out. I wasn't trying to discredit you in any way, just point out that different benchmarks would need to be used.

I don't know why they have it like that. It's something that a lot of people have complained about, but hasn't been changed.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:11:28 AM

blazorthon said:
Anand doesn't update the drivers of that comparison tool and I pointed it out. I wasn't trying to discredit you in any way, just point out that different benchmarks would need to be used.

I don't know why they have it like that. It's something that a lot of people have complained about, but hasn't been changed.
o.k. i took it the wrong way then i apologize but i think it's pretty stupid they have it yet don't keep it updated it's unless without being updated
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:19:13 AM

Switching to a lighter subject, I think it's cool how they fit the 650 Ti into such a small card. It's like the same size as my old gt 220.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:51:20 AM

Ironslice said:
Blazorthorn, the 650 ti can be found for $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The HD 7850 1gb is around 170-180, which is a bigger price difference than between the 7770 and 650 ti. Idk what you're talking about.

OP, get the GTX 650 ti.


That's on sale and you ignore the fact that shipping on it isn't free. Regardless, I was simply bringing up other options. Also worth mentioning is that a $115.5 7770 with a significant factory overclock is only slightly slower than the 650 Ti and there's a $130 7770 (with free shipping) that has such a large factory overclock that it can match the 650 Ti.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to start up a red versus green war. Simply consider this: considering the cost of the system as a whole, that few dozen more dollars for the 7850 is maybe a 10% cost increase, but a more than 10% performance increase, especially if overclocking is considered and if you use higher settings and/or MSAA (at this resolution, that's exactly what you'd be doing too). Tom's and others have shown how with higher settings and MSAA, the 650 Ti is only slightly faster than the 7770 instead of significantly faster and is slower than some highly factory overclocked 7770s, all because of its weak memory bus.
m
0
l
November 4, 2012 9:10:20 AM

Screw it this was for my a low-end build.. I'm getting a GTX 670 :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 7:16:53 PM

themegadinesen said:
Screw it this was for my a low-end build.. I'm getting a GTX 670 :) 


LOLOLOL! Sounds fantastic to me ;) 
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 7:24:38 PM

griptwister said:
LOLOLOL! Sounds fantastic to me ;) 
+1 :lol: 
m
0
l
!