GTX 670 (SC) kernel crashes?

aiox

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
For a few months now, my GPU has been acting up. At this point, every time I play a game for more than 15 minutes at a time, my computer will lock up, the screen will go black, without warning. The display will reappear, frame-rate much more choppy than before. Tabbing out, I can see the Nvidia control panel alerting me that there's been a kernel crash, and that it recovered.

I've tried everything. Using older drivers, using newer drivers, clean installing. For a while, a clean install of the drivers worked. It fixed my issues for about a month before they resumed. I tried the same solution again, to no avail. At this point, I tried underclocking to see if that would work. Maybe it was overheating? Nope. Same issue. Open a game and play it for more than 10 minutes, and the display would crash.

I've stress-tested before to see what I would get, and surprisingly, the GPU would not give way. Although temperatures were running high, the kernel crash wouldn't occur.

I'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue, but at this point, it might just be. I think I've tried just about every solution, and nothing's been a permanent fix. Has anybody had this issue before? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
well the only thing i could suggest is having more ingame info have you download HWINFO? with msi afterburner and used the msi onscreen display? show all of your video card info while your playing a game and see the load temp gpu usage etc. to see if its a hardware issue something should go all crazy.

also you can try simple things like cleaning out your gpu making sure there isnt any serious amount of clogs of dust at idle its not a problem but during load it can cause problems.

sometimes this occurs if you downloaded a new program can you roll back your windows to the month it had no problems and see if that works?

aiox

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Sorry for taking so long to reply, grizdom.

I've been looking at EVGA's PrecisionX, and during the time of the crash, voltage spiked upward for about a second before plummeting.

Also: reseated the card and took out a sound card placed dangerously close to the card and its fans to see if that might improve cooling or stop crashing. Didn't work.

I would roll back, but my System Restore is only allowing me to roll back to last week, while this has been happening for months.

grizdom

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
volatage spiked upwards? remove the pci power from the video card and place in one of the other ones to see if its just that wire thats causing the issues,

if your problem still hasnt been fixed after that try a new psu if you have one laying around