novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know that there are couples of different Audigy packages--Platinum EX, Platinum, XGamer, MP3+, Digital Entertainment, and OEM...please tell me that all of these cards are the same, except each goes with a different kind of package...if not, then please point out the differences between these cards...also, i've been looking all over for the Digital Entertainment card, but none of the retailer carry it in Pricewatch.com...i do all sort of things, that's why i'm looking for the DE card...will the MP3+ handle everything i want to do?

i really want the platinum ex but it's way too expensive compares to the others...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
i do all sort of things, that's why i'm looking for the DE card...will the MP3+ handle everything i want to do?

That depends, what sort of things are you doing? Perhaps we can even recommend a non-audigy card that will be cheaper and fit the bill.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

the card itself is the same for all the retail boxed versions. the difference between the Platinum EX and Platinum has to do with software i do believe. both come with the bay drive.
the difference between the other three non-bay drive retails is again, simply software.
i've heard that the OEM's don't have the gold plated connections on the card, so that would be the difference with the OEM over the retail.

i use an Audigy Gamer and it's a great sound card. can't wait for games that support EAX HD, it's amazing technology. plus, if you compare on a decent set of speakers, the difference between a Live card and an Audigy is HUGE. it's like going from cassette tape to CD (well, maybe not that drastic). the sound is a lot better though. it seems to have more depth to it, only way i can describe it.

where oh where have all the intel's gone?

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i watch dvds, play games, mp3s, karaoke...right now i'm using the live!value with altec ada890 and newq platinum equalizer...thanks for the inputs!

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Platinum has an internet drive unit whereas the Platinum EX has an external one. It's supposed to allow people more flexibility for where they want audio inputs to be placed, as well as reducing the amount of noise created by unsheilded componentry inside the computer.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I believe you mean "internal", not "internet" :)

The Hercules Game Theater XP has a better external box (albeit no Firewire), and it's about half the price (as well as being a better card). Your call.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

the Hercules is not a better card than the Audigy. it's competition is the Sound Blaster Live!, which is just pitiful when compared to an Audigy. of course the Hercules is cheaper though, it's outdated technology compared to the Audigy. only reason to get the Hercules over an Audigy is if you happen to be a Creative hater.

where oh where have all the intel's gone?

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Audigy is great card. Creative have introduce new feature with Audigy. Most of the new feature of Audigy should be supported by game manufaturers soon. It is not going to become obsolete when new games come out.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd rather have a stable computer than Advanced HD. Granted, I haven't put an Audigy in my box, so I don't know it won't be stable. But from Creative's track record, and talking to friends that have Audigys...

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oops! exsuuse myy typping. I'd go with that. The GTXP has just as good a quality (if not better) and is cheaper than the Audigy. If you only want that external drive unit, it's definately a better option.

G

I guess they are all the same card,only with different option.And the cost of this brand name"CREATIVE"is a little expensive for me also.In Germany,"TERRATEC" has a similar one named DMX 6fire.But I haven't bought it yet.don't know how much it is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
So because you don't have stability problems, he won't? I have, Crash has, etc. Every single person I've ever talked to who has had a Live has had some sort of problem (including me). Audigy's seem to be a lot better, but there are still a couple of problems laying around.

Advanced HD is the only advantage that the Audigy has over the GTXP. The GTXP is also a better deal, has a better external rack, less CPU usage, etc.

Which would you pick? Advanced HD isn't even currently used in games.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm currently running PIII@1GHz with CUSL2-C and SBLive!Value....so i don't think the driver problem of creative will affect me...

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I play games a lot so I consider Adanced HD a very important feature. If you do not want the new effect that will be supported in future game then GTXP will be great deal.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Sure, but they are not used! How can you know Advanced HD is a great feature when you've never heard it in games? lol

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's a great idea though. If it's implemented well, it'll be awesome. If it's implemented poorly, it might still be ok. I think he's just expecting it to turn out well (I expect it to as well).

Novice, you've had no problems whatsoever with your Live?

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After reading the article about Audigy I know Advanced HD includes some nice feature that I like. I do not know if Advanced HD will sound more realistic but I still perfer to get a sound card that supports it. The worst case is that it does not sound as good as you expected. It is a lot better then you find out Advanced HD sound great and the sound card you brought 3 month ago wont support it.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dvd supports 5.1 though....i wonder if some mp3z supports 5.1? :cool: ...and i thought Audigy is much more powerful than Live...also, it has the digital outputs which my Live doesn't...

Off topic:
is it worth it to replace the Altec ADA890 with the Promedia 5.1?...ADA890 has digital input while the Promedia you have to purchase something to make it digital... :smile: