Sign in with
Your question

Can I overclock my GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2012 9:08:41 PM

Hey,
I was wondering if my computer could handle could handle an overclocked GPU so I could squeeze a little more out of this card until I get a new one for Christmas.
Specs:
4 gb RAM
Intel Pentium G860 @ 3 ghz
Gigabyte Radeon 6670 1GB GDDR3
Cooler Master 500W PSU
DVD Drive
Western Digital Blue 500 Gb hard drive

More about : overclock gpu

a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2012 9:31:17 PM

Sure, you can use Catalyst to adjust the speed of your GPU. Just keep an eye on your temps. Also, make adjustments in baby steps. At the first sign of trouble, back off the settings slightly.

Don't expect great leaps in performance.

Good luck!
November 3, 2012 11:12:36 PM

I recommend MSI Afterburner. Increase the clock speeds or the memory speeds by 10 MHz to 25 MHz for each overclock. After an overclock, run a benchmark (I prefer Unigine Heaven 3.0) or MSI Kombustor for 5 minutes to 10 minutes. There, watch out the temps or watch out for crashes. I recommend you to watch the temperatures until you go above 80C, because you are not likely to crash your GPU when temps are still below 80C. If it is still below 80C and it's far from crashing, you can again increase the clock speed or the memory speed. Repeat the step, until you feel that it's the max that you can get and it doesn't crash.

The more advanced overclock will be with voltage adjustments. It will let your graphics card take higher clocks, but it'll make your GPU really hot.
!