Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bandwidth Monitoring and/or Control Question

Last response: in Networking
December 11, 2011 1:42:27 PM

Good day!

Not sure if I am in the correct area of the forums as I am new.

I have a question regarding monitoring the speed of my internet connection and the speed that gets distributed by my router.

I have 1 desktop computer connected via cable to my router and I have 2 laptops connecting remotely.

Here is a list of things I would like to be able to achieve if its possible

1. Monitor the bandwidth speed that comes to my router - preferrably via a real time graph like what you get when you are downloading something
2. Monitor the bandwidth provided to my desktop computer
3. Monitor the bandwidth that is provided to the laptops that connect via wireless to my router.
4. Allocate bandwidth to a specific computer of my choice at a given time.

I also fear of some software that are invasive and installs stuff that I do not want. I also don't want software that will allow me to do this things but then consume bandwidth of its own because I live in a third world country and we don't have much speed to start width.

(i hope i am using correct terms like speed and bandwidth because frankly I am so new to this stuff that I don't know if there is a difference)

Thank you in advance
December 12, 2011 3:00:11 AM

Hi! Just giving this thread a nudge. Sorry.
Score
December 12, 2011 3:51:04 PM

Giving my thread a slight nudge again sorry. Anyone care to help me?
Score
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 13, 2011 12:37:43 PM

You won't be able to do a lot of the things you want to do with a home router as they are limited in features. You might be able to monitor some traffic on the router.

You can try this:
http://leonidvm.chat.ru/

or google for this: smtp traffic grapher for other traffic graphs.
Score
December 15, 2011 6:32:04 AM

In that case ... can I just monitor the speed I get on my desktop then?
Score
a b C Monitor
December 15, 2011 10:56:09 AM

It depends? What did you plan on using? Web sites like speedtest.net give a snapshot of your speed at the time you run the test. Traffic graphers can log information as well as they usually have 5 minutes or more of data on the screen at once. If you don't need to track your data, sure, use what you want.
Score
December 15, 2011 3:31:39 PM

I am just on 1.0Mbps plan. I have used speed test before but I wanted a more real-time monitoring of the connection. At the very least I am looking for a software that looks much like "net_graph" on games like counter strike and dota 2. Just an example of what I am looking for though.
Score

Best solution

a b C Monitor
December 15, 2011 4:04:31 PM

Here is an example of the link I posted earlier. The green is download, the blue is upload. This is monitoring a router at work. You can see the current, average, and max speeds. You can also change settings for time interval and such.

December 17, 2011 11:56:07 PM

Best answer selected by shogrran.
Score
December 17, 2011 11:57:42 PM

Thank you for replying. I tried the program you suggested and I wasn't able to maximize the use since there are a lot of terms I didn't know and a lot of settings to tweak. But I have found a similar application freemeter bandwidth monitor which gives me the basics :D  thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
Score
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2012 11:15:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!