New mobo will not recognize hard drive - plz help

G

Hi all,
I have a stock HP Pavilion (please, no groans) running a PIII 600 mhz on some generic OEM board with an 810 chipset. I just recently got an Intel815EPFV board. When I install the new motherboard, the BIOS gives me a "Drive Not Ready - System Halted" error. The BIOS itself seems to recognize all my devices - CD-ROM, floppy, keyboard, mouse, video, and it even correctly identifies my hard drive as the Master in my Primary IDE controller. However, it just won't boot. Warm boot the same. When I reinstall my old mobo, it boots fine.

I have tried most of the troubleshooting techniques I can find. I have checked all cables. I have used three different cables, two of which work fine in my old mobo. I have made sure the 1 pins are lined up. I have checked the pins to see if they are bent. I have tried it in the Primary IDE as well as Secondary. I think my power supply is adequate. I have tried booting with no other devices (CD-ROM, floppy), so how much power could it take? If the drive spins up, does that mean it has enough power?

My hard drive is a Quantum lct10 30GB. That's an ATA66 drive, but that shouldn't matter, right? The IDE on the new board is ATA100 but should be backwards compatible, right? It is partitioned as one NTFS partition. Should I create smaller partitions? I am running Win2k Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tonicboy

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
have you tried updating the motherboard's BIO's? also, is the power supply 'unique'? i had this Dell that had a power supply made just for the motherboard it came with. had to buy another power supply to get it working. sorry, but i can't think of any other reason why your having problems.