Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Geforce GTX 670 TOP - Good choice or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:35:02 AM

Hello,

So i've read many different things about this card.

People recommend it, but a ton of people don't. Newegg doesn't restock it anymore and I also read that ASUS has stopped production of it, because of the clock problems. It seems like many people get RSOD and flickering screens. While it got a score of 10 on some other site. It really is an awesome card but the issues make it a doubtful choice for me, or do those issues belong to the past and did they fix it with some update?

Any new updates on this guys?

Thanks in advance!
November 4, 2012 1:37:57 AM

I would recommend for to you go with another card, better to be safe now than have a big headache later.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:50:54 AM

Yeah i guess i'll go for the GTX 660 TI TOP.. Sadly.

But with an OC i5 3570k @ 4ghz approx, 8gig ram and a ASROCK z77 extreme4 it should run BF3 pretty smooth.
Related resources
November 4, 2012 1:54:44 AM

yeah it should run it well enough.
you could also consider an amd graphics card so you don't have to downgrade since im assuming upgrading to a 680 gtx would be too much ?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:57:11 AM

Thank you for your fast reply.

And yeah that beastly 680 is too much :(  That 670 top would be the max for me, but I guess I really shouldn't buy it. I'll go for the 660 ti top and maybe OC it abit.

Are AMD cards cheaper? Price/Performance wise?
a c 234 U Graphics card
a c 103 Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2012 2:04:56 AM

The 670 TOP was the best card ever tested by techpowerup....only one since they started ever to get a perfect 10.0 rating.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

The "rumor" with regard to the lack of cards out there being due to problems has had no factual basis as far as I can find .... the word from Asus was that.....in early production runs ya yields are always lower and improve over time.

The only difference between the DCII TOP and DCII versions is that in early runs, Asus hand picked the GPU's. As the yields and line was refined, Asus no longer felt the need ti hand pick the GPUs as most of the units coming off the line were highly overclockable. Just get the regular DCII.....same cooler, same PCB, same everything else.
November 4, 2012 2:08:10 AM

AMD and Nvidia card will usually have a similar price and performance.

from the prices i saw i guess you are looking at max of 370 dollars for the card ?

if so you could go with a AMD 7950, will give a better performance from what i checked.

I also had no problem finding a 670 gtx being sold, so maybe they are working fine now.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 2:09:14 AM

Again thank you for the fast reply, I appreciate it.

But, as far as an GTX 660 ti TOP vs GTX 670 the difference is small. Is the difference big enough to make me pick the 670? The bit speed is 192 instead of 362 orso, that's the only difference I think..

Thanks for your help! Again I appreciate it alot!
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2012 2:27:56 AM

Few reasons to go with Nvidia over AMD. By the way I see the 670 top in stock maybe not the top edition but the CU II coolers. The top card is a Overclocked version anyway surely you could hit those clocks on the other CU II cards

2 gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1. Typically the driver support is better with NVIDIA
2. You have games that you run PHYSX with
3. You intend to go 3D.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 2:39:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

And yeah i'll stick to Nvidia. Either 660 ti top or the 670 non top. I will probably go for the 660 ti, maybe OC it abit. And buy myself another next year to SLI and keep my system rather up to date. I won't worry about my upgrade after that ;p

Thanks alot for the help.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 2:48:37 AM

if you can find a 7950 or a 7970 they overclock really well and the 7970 can reach past 680 performance levels.
660ti is also good but at the same price you get the 7950 which is a bit faster
November 4, 2012 3:01:15 AM

jaideep1337 said:
if you can find a 7950 or a 7970 they overclock really well and the 7970 can reach past 680 performance levels.
660ti is also good but at the same price you get the 7950 which is a bit faster

What i said but it seems he has his heart set on Nvidia, making him choose the less rational choice, probably a fan-boy, but is his choice and i would recommend than the 660 Ti.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2012 4:14:00 AM

Sharper its just something that seems to be a common occurrence on the forums you will say I want this and people will say well this is better shrugs sometimes it just doesn't sink
November 4, 2012 4:18:04 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Sharper its just something that seems to be a common occurrence on the forums you will say I want this and people will say well this is better shrugs sometimes it just doesn't sink

Yes i'm aware, wasn't going to mention anything but i had to least try to enlighten the guy a bit if at all possible.
But again, i'm well aware how the internet is.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2012 1:17:48 PM

SharperZeroCool said:
What i said but it seems he has his heart set on Nvidia, making him choose the less rational choice, probably a fan-boy, but is his choice and i would recommend than the 660 Ti.

The 660 ti is not that bad a card,as to say only the green fanboys will buy that card.The 660 ti and 7950 Boost trades blows already according to the games that are being played.And when it comes to games,some will run better AMD and others will run better on Nvidia and this won't be changing soon.
However where most of us don't like the 660 ti is that its got half the bus width of a 7950.But then gain its performance doesn't prove its being bottleneck-ed.In fact a 192 bit bus is what differentiates a 660 ti from a 670. :) 
March 28, 2013 8:12:43 AM

Is the problem prone to all asus gtx 670 cards or just the TOP? I was looking to go with the standard one. Or maybe the standard 680
!