White Waves during 3D games?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 1:38:38 AM

Hi Everyone

I just got my new pc few days ago, and i notice something is probably wrong with my new computer. When i was playing games like GTA IV, Saints Row The Third, Dead Island, Dungeon Siege 3, GuildWars 2 and other games. I found out there are waves like/ horizontal lines screen flickering in games, where the screen jumping around/ moving up or down like something is messing with it. which is very annoying. Do anyone knows what is causing it ? i have everything to max settings including vsync on.

I reviewd the forum and found this is the most similar to my own issue. But its constant. Wheneve I play any 3D game (Not 2D) I see this. I see wierd waves that spawn from one side to the next (left to right) and they flicker.

People say set the 3D clock to 2D how? I have MSI afterburner but I don't get it.
And after about 25 minutes of gaming my Computers CPU is at about 70C
Here is some additional info about my computer

ystem Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/3/2012, 10:37:04
Machine name: USER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4860
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/31/11 10:13:44 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8172MB RAM
Page File: 2446MB used, 13895MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

EVR Power Information
---------------
Current Setting: {5C67A112-A4C9-483F-B4A7-1D473BECAFDC} (Quality)
Quality Flags: 2576
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow half deinterlace
Allow scaling
Decode Power Usage: 100
Balanced Flags: 1424
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow batching
Force half deinterlace
Force scaling
Decode Power Usage: 50
PowerFlags: 1424
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow batching
Force half deinterlace
Force scaling
Decode Power Usage: 0

More about : white waves games

November 4, 2012 1:51:34 AM

It seems there is something between the game engine and the video driver, could be some software conflict, try windows re-install with only the bare-minimum

could be the video driver it self, try updating it or reverting back to old drivers ( like 6-8 months old should be a good test)

or could be some fault with the hardware, in this case you could try to replace some of them(graphics card / motherboard) to test or take to where you bought the pc so they can see what's wrong with it, specially assuming its still under the warranty.
Score
November 4, 2012 2:56:47 AM

SharperZeroCool said:
It seems there is something between the game engine and the video driver, could be some software conflict, try windows re-install with only the bare-minimum

could be the video driver it self, try updating it or reverting back to old drivers ( like 6-8 months old should be a good test)

or could be some fault with the hardware, in this case you could try to replace some of them(graphics card / motherboard) to test or take to where you bought the pc so they can see what's wrong with it, specially assuming its still under the warranty.

so I'm not overclocking?
Score
Related resources
November 4, 2012 3:31:15 AM

amogachi44 said:
so I'm not overclocking?

I don't know, did you mention anything about overclock ?

If you're not overclocking than you're not overclocking. if you were doing a graphics card overclock i would suggest you to not do it and test if the overclock is the cause of this problem.
Score
November 4, 2012 3:59:39 AM

SharperZeroCool said:
I don't know, did you mention anything about overclock ?

If you're not overclocking than you're not overclocking. if you were doing a graphics card overclock i would suggest you to not do it and test if the overclock is the cause of this problem.

I have MSI Afterburner. Can I use that to test if its an overclock problem?

Score

Best solution

November 4, 2012 4:11:35 AM

amogachi44 said:
I have MSI Afterburner. Can I use that to test if its an overclock problem?

But if you're not doing a overclock than is not overclock, the graphics card won't do a overclock by itself. if you overclock the graphics card with MSI Afterburner you might just make things worse, cause instability or even make this error worse if is hardware related.

I said that and i repeat it again, try to re-install windows, after that just install the bare-minimum, like video driver and 1 game to test. if the problem is over is because some driver or program you installed was causing this error, if not you than should try installing a different video driver that can be download at http://www.geforce.com/drivers
Remember to trying out more than 1-2 drivers, try at least 5 to be sure, if after that the problem still persists than is most likely a hardware failure. Since you said 2D games have no problem i would guess your problem would be the graphics card since that's the hardware responsible for the 3D so i would suggest you to try to replace the graphics card, if you have another with you or with a friend for testing or take to a computer store because they will have graphics card for testing.
November 4, 2012 5:05:29 AM

Can you please tell us what graphics card your using if any ?

check your VGA dvi hdmi cable to the monitor or tv. Check to see if its connected right.

if your using onboard ivy hd4000 then the games your playing are probably to demanding for the hd4000 engine. You would want to purchase a graphics card.

if you have a graphics card like an msi card and your using afterburner and you do not know what ur doing you may have slid the overclocking bar to far and causing instability and overheating to your gpu causing screen abnormalities.

disable msi afterburner or set to default clocks and try again .
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 4, 2012 5:42:52 AM

Appears to be a DEFECTIVE GRAPHICS CARD.
If it was your monitor, it should happen when NOT playing a video game just as easily. Also, if possible swap to a different monitor but it's almost certainly a defective card.

Since it's a new PC, it sounds like you need to RMA the entire thing with Gateway unless they have some in-home Warranty service (possible if it's just the graphics card).
http://www.ehow.com/info_8522733_symptoms-graphics-card...

*Chances are they chose a cheaper graphics card that is more likely to fail versus a quality brand like Asus or Sapphire Tech.
Score
November 4, 2012 7:14:11 AM

Ah yes I am having a similar issue.
I have an HD7970 ghz edition.
Its not so noticeable in dark areas of games but it shows in bright places. Surely the card isn't to blame. If it was the card then it would be happening all the time.

My humble guess is my monitor isn't coping with what the new card is dealing out. So during gaming its getting more than it can handle. Just a thought.
Score
November 4, 2012 7:36:23 AM

Philly268 said:
Ah yes I am having a similar issue.
I have an HD7970 ghz edition.
Its not so noticeable in dark areas of games but it shows in bright places. Surely the card isn't to blame. If it was the card then it would be happening all the time.

My humble guess is my monitor isn't coping with what the new card is dealing out. So during gaming its getting more than it can handle. Just a thought.

I don't get why you think its a monitor problem. if it were the monitor than the problem would show all the time, since his problem only shows on 3D games it can most likely only be the graphics card or a software problem getting in between the game engine and the video driver or the video driver itself.
Score
November 5, 2012 2:33:49 AM

SharperZeroCool said:
I don't get why you think its a monitor problem. if it were the monitor than the problem would show all the time, since his problem only shows on 3D games it can most likely only be the graphics card or a software problem getting in between the game engine and the video driver or the video driver itself.

I thought so...I've had issues with videos (they don't appear to process fast enough (the image isn't clear (you see little blocks)).

Since its the card when I replace it should my games run better? faster?
Also sorta off topic but why doesn't this happen during 2D games?

Wow this community is fantastic with giving help :D 
Score
November 5, 2012 3:37:53 AM

SharperZeroCool said:

UGH UGH UGH!! You are right, I switched my monitor with my moms monitor and had the same problem happen.

Thank you all for this wonderful amount of help :) 
Score
November 5, 2012 3:38:55 AM

Best answer selected by amogachi44.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2012 1:39:09 AM

amogachi44 said:
I thought so...I've had issues with videos (they don't appear to process fast enough (the image isn't clear (you see little blocks)).

Since its the card when I replace it should my games run better? faster?
Also sorta off topic but why doesn't this happen during 2D games?

Wow this community is fantastic with giving help :D 

In case you still want to know:
- Your games should run IDENTICAL in performance to what they do now. It's only the output to the monitor that is corrupted.

- The problem doesn't happen in 2D games because they use less power. There is something related to either cooling or power circuitry on the card that has a problem.

*If you get a chance, let us know if you had to RMA the entire computer. Curious.
Score
November 25, 2012 4:14:08 PM

I will. Lol finally taking it back to Future Shop.
Score
!