Power Supply and Graphics

twolee

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I am looking to replace a graphics card on an old computer of mines and looking for a cheap thing to last me a year or 2 until i fully get a new/better computer (on a budget and schooling).

The problem I have right now is that my current graphics card does not support Shader Model 3. I currently have an ATI Radeon x300/x550/x1050 series with chip type: Radeon x600 (0x5B62). And my power supply is only 305w.

I will be using this computer as a gaming computer, but I am not worried about running the games on VERY HIGH settings. I am ok with running the games on LOW/VERY LOW settings, as long as I can run the games.

I guess my question would be if I bought a graphics card that requires 300w will my power supply/computer be able to handle it?

Thanks in advance :)

v3gdad.jpg

nx3tar.jpg

991lro.jpg

So here is my current power supply, graphics card,video slots. I'm not quite sure which is which. My current one was in the black slot (which i think is AGP? and the white slots are PCI?) If someone could clarify which is which for me that would be very helpful thanks :)

First you need to determine if your Radeon X600 is the AGP or PCI-e version.

AGP is the old graphics slot that was replaced by PCI-e back in 2004 or 2005 I think. They are not compatible with each other. AGP card are more or extinct. Currently the most power AGP sold (until there is no more stock) is the Radeon HD 4670 which can be used with a 305w PSU see below link and note the image which shows what an AGP interface looks like. Price is $115.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076197

If you have the PCI-e version, then you have better luck getting a graphics card. However, the standard is now up to PCI-e 3.0. If you have a PCI-e motherboard, then it is PCI-e 1.0 which generally should be compatible with up to PCI-e 3.0 graphic cards. But a few people have reported issues with PCI-e 1.0/1.1 motherboards and PCI-e 2.1 graphic cards. Not aware of any issues between PCI-e 1.0/1.1 mobo with PCI-e 3.0 graphic cards, but most people who upgrades to a PCI-e 3.0 graphic card already has a mobo with a PCI-e 2.0 slot.

Currently, the best graphic card for a 305w PSU is the PCI-e 3.0 Radeon HD 7750. Whether or not it is compatible with all PCI-e 1.0/1.1 motherboards is unknown. A Radeon HD 7750 cost $100 after rebate and it comes with 2 free games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612

While the Radeon HD 4670 cost more it is also a slower graphics card. Then again AGP graphic cards are rare. The Radeon HD 7750 would be around as powerful as a Radeon HD 4870 (just a rough guess).

twolee

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
thank you very much for that information! now i just have to open up my computer and figure it all out...hopefully i can go into a microcenter or something and get their help too. thanks again

Just be aware that the Radeon HD 7750 is considerably more powerful than the nVidia GT 630. The HD 7750 will eat the GT 630 alive. Then again it also costs more.

But before you run off to buy a card you need to determine if your motherboard has an AGP slot or PCI-e slot since the Radeon x600 came in both flavors. Google for a program called CPU-Z which will help identify which slot your mobo has.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Did you just run into this idea when you did a search? Every time I go to a site, they do NOT always list minimum PSU requirements. Know of any site that does, or has a minimum wattage as a search value when looking for a GPU?

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

The GT630 requires a 350w PSU. It might be able to handle for a bit, but when the GPU requires more wattage, expect it to get hot trying to pull more power until it gets what it wants(and it won't) or it'll just shut down from lack of power.

Total power supply Wattage is only a guideline and a pretty poor one at that.

If you look on AMD's website for the Radeon HD 7750 they specify "400W (or greater) power supply recommended". Actually any power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 19 Amps or greater will work fine. There are even 250 Watt Seasonic power supplies that would have no problem powering a system with a single Radeon HD 7750.

The OP's system looks to have one PCI Express Revision 1.1 x16 slot (determined by the Intel 945G chipset) and an OEM 305 Watt power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

So me wanting to have a bigger power supply just to be safe is pointless since they kind of already do that with their "suggested" PSU requirements? I guess it cant' hurt to be too safe. :p

I just kinda know....I read alot of the articles on Tom's that they do; they give alot of information.

twolee

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
well the card in the picture is the old one that came with the PC, I am looking to get a new one that can handle most games at very low/low settings...possibly gt 610 or gt 630...its just a temp gcard for the moment until i save up for a new one