Z68 or z77 for i5-2500k

blazedd

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Hi,i am getting the i5-2500k, which i am planning to use mostly for high-end games,and while i am sure that it can run every game atm,but i am more concerned about those that have not been yet,which is why i got the OC one,and i do plan to OC if required in the future.

So i was wondering which mobo would give me a better performance in gaming,when paired with the i5-2500k, a z68 or a z77 one? both are already more expensive mobos than my budget, as i was planning to go for a h61,since they are so cheap, (ignore my ignorance), but then i found out the OC feature would be a waste as i would not be able to make full use of it. I wont be upgrading my cpu for a while now so the compatibility with Ivy bridge doesnt really matter.

Also,i am getting a z77 AsRock pro 3 for a lot cheaper than any z68 right now. But i've read that the z77 Extreme3 or 4 is far better, also they are more costly and i was just wondering if it was worth it to go for an extreme 4, if there is no significant difference in performance when compared to the pro 3.

My main concern though is -

1) which mobo is more compatible/gives a better performance while gaming, when paired with the i5-2500k, the z77 or the z68?

2) am i spending too much on the mobo when i can go for a h67 or p67 at a much cheaper price?

3) if go for a z77, is the Extreme 3 or 4 worth the extra price in terms of performance over the pro 3?

I will be using a single gpu-gtx 460 1gb gddr5 with 2 X 4gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3 @1333 Mhz.

Solution
1. No difference.

2. A P67-based motherboard would be fine too, as long as you don't need SSD caching. H67 or H61 would make the Core i5-2500k a waste of money, so avoid those.

3. The Extreme 3 and 4 add support for SLI and improve the power phases. They may overclock better, but not by much.
1. No difference.

2. A P67-based motherboard would be fine too, as long as you don't need SSD caching. H67 or H61 would make the Core i5-2500k a waste of money, so avoid those.

3. The Extreme 3 and 4 add support for SLI and improve the power phases. They may overclock better, but not by much.

Solution

blazedd

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
so since i will be using a single gpu, and i dont really need SSD caching, i should go for a p67? though i am getting the z77 AsRock pro at a far cheaper price than any p67 or z68 at my nearest store.

Is it ok if i just get the cheapest p67 or z68 or z77 mobo that is available, without having to worry about wasting the potential of my cpu?

Yes. Either of those will be fine.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
good since the z77 has a good chance of having virtu mvp capabilities. this greatly makes games smoother and more responsive. last gen chipsets dont support it. it needs to be made available in the bios and companies would rather you buy a new board then let you have it on an old one. but 90% or so of z77s have it. make sure it does.