Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Worst soundcard you ever owned and why

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2001 4:51:30 AM

Mine's the original Diamond Monster Sound. It was the first sound card I owned that had surround sound. It was deemed a Sound Accelerator card that had a passthru cable to your normal sound card that you would use for older DOS games. I think it used a chipset Diamond made which supported Aureal's A3D standard. The quality of sound was terrible. It also made this popping sound every now and then. When I got Windows 98 and installed it for the first time on my PC, I noticed that the sound quality had improved dramatically. Then I remembered that I hadn't yet installed the drivers for the Monster sound and that my computer was using the old SB AWE 32. After that I pulled the card out and it's been sitting in my desk ever since.

More about : worst soundcard owned

Anonymous
December 22, 2001 5:07:41 AM

Have no idea who made it, but an old ESS Audiodrive. Half duplex, fuzzy sound, a pain to get to work with games and seriously slowed performance. Terrible card, but I bet it only ran in the sub $10 range (I can't say as I remember what I paid).
December 22, 2001 11:11:04 AM

SoundBlaster Live 5.1, believe it or not. Ever since I installed it, I had been getting popping and cracking every few seconds. I tried installing new drivers and playing around with the tools included with the SB Live but it was useless. I returned it for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and my problem was solved.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
December 22, 2001 11:39:25 AM

I beleive it. You wouldn't post this here otherwise. =)
December 22, 2001 12:54:34 PM

AC97
-
Hoged CPU resources and poor audio replication.
__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>
December 22, 2001 3:16:19 PM

Yeah, Ac97 rates just above Sound Blaster Live.

At least ac97 doesn't corrupt info transfering on the ide channels...even though you're using the southbridge to run it?!??!
December 22, 2001 6:07:58 PM

Did you update drivers first, or did you have crackling from the start?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 22, 2001 6:20:02 PM

From the beginning!! I tried reformatting, installing newer drivers, everything!! I put the SB Live in PCI slot 3. Still, I was experiencing cracking. Maybe my ATI TV-WONDER is a PCI hog?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 22, 2001 7:05:46 PM

When I installed All-in-Wonder 128 PRO I get crack too.
December 22, 2001 10:27:23 PM

It was just that I had an SB AWE64 on my old PII. It was fine and when I downloaded a driver for it, I got lots of crackles.

Fixed on a re-install with the old driver though.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 23, 2001 1:09:20 AM

Well, It's common knowledge that Creative's drivers are awful!

December 23, 2001 1:55:01 AM

An old Crytstal sound chip that would not support some joystics and had poor quality sound. Some Opti cards that wouldn't work on 90% of the motherboards I owned. My SB Live that wouldn't let me use all 4 speekers sometimes.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 24, 2001 10:21:13 AM

I've seen those. They really do suck. When I first saw that the TB Santa Cruz and the Hercules GTXP used a chipset from Crystal, I shied away from them and purchased a LIVE. Serves me right for not keeping an open mind.
December 24, 2001 11:04:35 AM

lol, the Crystal SoundFusion chip in the TB Santa Cruz and Hercules GTXP is more feature rich than the EMU10K1!

December 24, 2001 4:01:07 PM

You don't remember the early Crystal soundchips with all their static and so forth.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 24, 2001 6:55:48 PM

I brought my SB Live over 3 years ago. Not much chose at that time.
December 24, 2001 11:53:55 PM

I can get all 4 speakers to work under Win2k, but under Winme, only 2 work.

Creative is stingy with their drivers.
December 25, 2001 2:58:43 AM

Maybe. But it's the quality that matters. The crystal chip is better in quality of sound and bass than the EMU one in the LIVE. The LIVE wasn't too bad for me though, I never really had any major driver issues with it etc (as opposed to the monster sound). Besides, I guess it's better to learn things the hard way every now and then than just going on other people's opinions.
December 25, 2001 11:28:24 AM

That's why I tried both, :smile:

December 25, 2001 12:24:40 PM

Good point!
December 25, 2001 6:24:56 PM

Easy answer: Philips Seismic Edge

Randomly refused to be recognized under Win2K.

Win2k "drivers" were crippled - many features disabled. This was as of August 2001.

When I upgraded to XP, I tried to run the XP drivers for card - the driver install program crashed the computer each time I ran it (I tried four times)

I finally gave up, and am using AC97 onboard audio.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>
December 25, 2001 9:48:11 PM

Ess integrated soundcard that comes with compaq computer.
Integrated soundcard sux and anything integrated is usually bad, but cheap.
December 27, 2001 10:34:58 PM

SB Live!Value . . . per my post a few days back. I tried <b>silverpig</b>'s recommendations and still have popping and cracking. As one other stated, SB driver support sucks! I was using drivers dated Aug. 99, and even downloading everything since then does not update the core drivers.

I bought mine back in Nov. 98 . . . like <b>upec</b> stated, not many choices at the time. But with all of the fun {cringe} I have been having with it, I am developing <b>FatBurger</b>'s hatred for all things Creative. Like many (or some), I was at first wowed by all of the propagand . . . er . . . promotional literature for the Audigy, but now I am thinking, "Not if you were the last card on Earth!"

VSP

Have sound, will game.

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>
December 31, 2001 3:33:59 AM

an isa soundblaster 16 on my old 486. Not that I had any problems but it seems like real crap compared to the stuff available nowadays.

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>
January 2, 2002 6:46:33 PM

How did I miss this thread? Hmm...

Worst sound card I ever owned...tough one. Tie between the Live (system instability), and the Seismic Edge (relative sound levels were way off).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
October 28, 2011 11:19:09 PM

I'd stay away from the M-Audio Series all together, I had a Delta 10/10 LT and it was giving me issues for over 2 years. I'd record a guitar track and nail it only to play it back and have a crackle in it. This happened to me over and over with me loosing so many good takes today, i finally had enough when i lost a audio track that was irriplaceable, I pulled the power cable out of my tower in a fit of rage and ripped the card out, Its a 300 dollar card btw, then i smashed it over and over on a concrete floor. This felt so good, I'll never buy another one. Consider this a warning to anyone wanted a sound card. I tired everything imaginable to fix my issues, on different Operating systems. I shall never buy another product that carries the M-Audio name.
October 28, 2011 11:47:42 PM

dormantreign said:
I'd stay away from the M-Audio Series all together, I had a Delta 10/10 LT and it was giving me issues for over 2 years. I'd record a guitar track and nail it only to play it back and have a crackle in it. This happened to me over and over with me loosing so many good takes today, i finally had enough when i lost a audio track that was irriplaceable, I pulled the power cable out of my tower in a fit of rage and ripped the card out, Its a 300 dollar card btw, then i smashed it over and over on a concrete floor. This felt so good, I'll never buy another one. Consider this a warning to anyone wanted a sound card. I tired everything imaginable to fix my issues, on different Operating systems. I shall never buy another product that carries the M-Audio name.

you do realize this thread is a zombie from 2001 lol!
October 29, 2011 2:15:48 AM

davcon said:
you do realize this thread is a zombie from 2001 lol!

LOL. Well perhaps we should fully Frankenstein it. "It's alive...It's Allliiiiiivvvveeee!"

Worst soundcard I've ever owned? Hmmm...not including onboard I'd say it was the Turtle Beach Montego. Drivers were awful.
October 29, 2011 5:54:28 AM

Creative ExtremeGamer, due to its Snap, Crackle, Pop issue, horrid drivers, etc.
October 29, 2011 12:28:02 PM

gamerk316 said:
Creative ExtremeGamer, due to its Snap, Crackle, Pop issue, horrid drivers, etc.

I was lucky, my X-Fi never let me down.
October 29, 2011 12:28:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!