New Lenovo Y480 Graphics card troubles

thepurelife

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I recently ordered a Lenovo Ideapad Y480 from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246626&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Everything was going great until I ran some games (e.g. World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, League of Legends) the fan began to whirl like a jet engine, and then the system would shut down, as if the power was pulled. Note this only happens when the Nvidia gpu is running a program. Updating the drivers did not solve my problem so I figured it may be a hardware problem. Sent the laptop back to Newegg, where they set it back to factory settings, ran some tests, and determined that it was fine.

I received my laptop this week and while it doesn't randomly shut off anymore, the Nvidia graphics card is still not capable of capable of running WoW past "fair" setting or League of Legend past "high" without a huge dip in frame rate. I know the GT 640M LE isn't the best graphics card, but I believe it should be able to blow these games out of the water. I'm not computer savvy, so the best way I know to test was using 3Dmark.

My results http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4842974

seem to fall way short of the idea score I found on the web http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4380533

I am not exactly sure what is wrong with my graphics card, and is there anyway to prove that it is defective?

thepurelife

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I found that strange too, heres what the gpu z looks like
gpuz.gif

bignastyid

Titan
The card maybe throttling down due to heat and running slow and the lower clock seems might be why 3dmark misidentified the card. In gpuz open the sensors tab and watch the clock speeds and run 3dark in widowed mode and watch the temp and clock speeds.

thepurelife

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Ok I ran 3dmark again, this time checking the gpuz sensors. The temperature at idle is roughly 46 degrees with

Core clock: 202.5 MHz
Memory clock: 324 MHz
Shader clock: 405 MHz

while running 3dmark, the temperature shoots up to 99 degrees, almost immediately

Core clock: 752.1 MHz
Memory Clock: 1570 MHz
Shader clock: 1504 MHz , and these don't really change throughout.

After the test, the temp would immediately drop back down to idle temp

thepurelife

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah the score was the same, its weird that the temp would get so high, because the bottom of the computer feels cold to touch. Is there anyway to go about examining this problem, because I don't really know where to start

thepurelife

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I got off the phone with lenovo earlier today, and they offered me a free repair, which I have to ship to them. I've heard horror stories about people not getting their laptops back from lenovo for months, and reading their forums have me thinking that their repair service isn't very reliable.

Newegg, on the other hand, offered me a refund only if they deem the hardware defective. I was thinking of shipping it off to Newegg instead for a refund, do you have any experience providing some kind of proof of defective hardware?