harddisk fail, help pls

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Hi,

I have problem with my western digital harddisk. WD200BB, it is a 20 GB harddisk. When i used it in the morning it was still running. But when i was turning my comp at night (without any changes), it said that my primary slave hd is failed, but the bios still recognized it. I don't understand what happen to my hd. can someone help me?

Thx alot

[] [_] [-

Well. Its sating that your system BIOS can see the disk on start-up by the IDE detection on boot-up = the cables are probably fine.

The rest is either:

a)Bad news
b)Virus (not so bad news)
c)experts fill this gap.

I would try running a scandisk from a boot disk and see if you get any luck.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
How many hard drives do you have? Do you have a Primary Master? If so, you should be able to set the BIOS to None or Not Installed for the Primary Slave and it should resolve the message. Other then that if you do have a Primary Slave, check to make sure your using the 80wire 40pin Ultra cable and that the BIOS settings for the drive are set properly. BIOS would usually be set to 'Auto' w/LBA enabled.

If you have the system information, that would be helpful to.

<font color=red>I AM WE TODD DID</font color=red><font color=white>, I AM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOFA KING WE TODD DID</font color=blue>

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
well, I have two hd here. one is quantum 4GB (as master), and as slave is 20GB westerdigital. The western digital I brought it from my dorm to my home. And I've been using it at home for almost 1 month now, and before I got no problem at all. Like what I said, in the morning it was just fine. Running smoothly, no error. But when i turned on my computer at that night, it said that my primary slave is failed. I didn't touch the bios during that time. And when I checked, it was set to auto. Actually, the bios can recognise it, just after the bios check for all the primary and secondary. master and slave, then the message came out. It said, primary slave is failed. pres f1 to contimue, or del to enter setup. Then I checked the bios, and it was ok. After the system was rebooted, the same error occured. This time I chose to continue. Then, I check under "my computer", there was only one drive listed, my primary master. But when I checked under "device manager" under hard drives, I got two drives, and it said both worked properly. I really don't understand. I'm using win2k.

Thx alot for the replys

[] [_] [-

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Download the WesternDigital Diagnostics and see what you see. If it was working before and you made no changes it could be a bad drive ....?

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
First check software, then hardware.
So : Virus, Damaged Win sys files(sorry don't know how to check for that with Win2k and should not be that anyway, but...), problem with bios(but then you say it recognizes the drive ?).
After all software possibilities are exausted go to hardware:
Swap the 20 gig for the smaller one. Put the julmpers accordingly. BTW this would just be see if you can access it with the or a os. Did you try acessing with a boot floppy.
Sorry might have missed that in your post.

Danny

Electric coolaid for everyone, except me, never touch the stuff !

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Seeing as the software isn't giving him the Primary Slave Hard disk failure messsage, I don't think checking the software is really going to do much good. I think his problem lies more with the hardware configuration then anything. Seeing as he claims not to have changed anything and it started happening out of the blue. That's why I was suggesting running the WesternDigital diagnostics. That will tell him if it's a problem with the hardware right off the bat, and could save time in the long run seeing as the diagnostics don't usually seem to take too long.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>