Sign in with
Your question

''AMD driver has stopped working'' when I start any game.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 11:23:45 AM

Hi, everyone. As I know, many people have the same issue. But mine is a little bit different. So when I start any game ( for example NFS The Run ) the game starts and I see the cut-scenes, and just when the game is about to start, the game freezes, the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds, and then a message pops out saying '' AMD driver has stopped working and has recovered successfully''. No, my GPU is not overheating, No I haven't OC'd anything. My specs:

AMD FX-4170 on 4.2 stock

Corsair H60 Closed Loop water cooling

ASUS Direct CUII Top AMD Radeon HD 7770 working at 1020mhz stock

WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM

CM Elite 460W PSU

ASUS M5A97 PRO MotherBoard

CM Elite 430 case

I will apreciate any kind of suggestions and I will try them. Thank you in advance :) 
November 4, 2012 12:05:35 PM

Did you upgrade your video drivers to 12.10 or 12.11 beta ?
November 4, 2012 12:12:49 PM

You are running liquid cooling and that video card on the same PSU? I would question your available wattage as the increase demands of gaming by the video card might be enough to push you over what the PSU can realistically provide. How old is that PSU?
Related resources
November 4, 2012 12:17:59 PM

Traildriver said:
You are running liquid cooling and that video card on the same PSU? I would question your available wattage as the increase demands of gaming by the video card might be enough to push you over what the PSU can realistically provide. How old is that PSU?

It's not custom WC. But then again. The PSU is still pretty trashy. OP, I would recommend replacing it soon.
November 4, 2012 12:23:38 PM

Ok. I found a solution. I had to delete all the folders in your PC that are named AMD or ATI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVEGWrk5E4&list=UUqMGPT...

After doing that, I had to install 12.10 Driver. I fixed it, but now I have a different problem. When I play any game for (for example NFS The Run) I get 20-10 FPS at MAX settings and 1600x1200 res. Before i had the AMD driver issues, the game was running smooth with no lags at all at around 40-30 FPS, but now it is not playable.

Any suggestions ? PLS help :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  BTW thanks for the reply
November 4, 2012 12:27:20 PM

BTW I am running the H60 one the CPU, not on the GPU.

I bought a 850W PSU from ebay a week ago and I am waiting it to arrive. It is a very cheap PSU, but im on a bdget right now soo... :D 
November 4, 2012 7:35:21 PM

maximilian4o said:
BTW I am running the H60 one the CPU, not on the GPU.

I bought a 850W PSU from ebay a week ago and I am waiting it to arrive. It is a very cheap PSU, but im on a bdget right now soo... :D 

Same mistake. A cheap PSU won't do you any good. Would you buy a car from a no name? Same thing with PSU's
!