HTPC Mirroring vs RAID?

USAFEG

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hello,

I don't really know where to file this, so forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I've been searching and searching, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm building a new HTPC, and intend to use it to stream WMC content to my Xbox 360 and my various other devices. I'll be using a 2 TB internal drive to store my content.

A few years back I had both an external and internal hard drive fail on me around the same time. Long story short, it was a total loss, and my collection of movies, music, and photos was gone.

For this reason, I'd like some kind of data redundancy, if nothing else just for peace of mind. I have a 2 TB Time Capsule, and was looking for something that would basically mirror my content from my media drive onto the time capsule. I have considered running two x 2 TB internal drives running in the HTPC in RAID 1, but everything I've read says that RAID really has no place in an htpc.

What I'm looking for is something that would, upon me adding a movie to my HTPC, automatically copy it onto my time capsule, not just for data redundancy but to allow me to remotely access it as well. I believe windows backup won't work in this situation, as it can't backup to the HFS+ formatted time capsule.

Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations? Thanks very much in advance!