Sign in with
Your question

GPU freezing my PC at 70C

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 11:40:11 AM

Hello everyone.

In the past week I have been having problems with my computer when running high demanding games, for example Anno 1404 or Battlefield 3. My computer freezes when the GPU temperatures reach about 70C or more.

First thing that happens is, that the monitor goes into power saving mode, then the sounds disappear. In some cases the computer automatically resets, but normally it doesn't do anything and I have to press the reset button. The computer doesn't shut down, the power light is always on.

My computers info;
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Monitor: LG D2342P 3D
PSU: HEDY EU 550W
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3

Things I have tried so far and they all failed;
-Updating graphic drivers to latest version and beta drivers (currently back on WHQL drivers)
-updating BIOS
-cleaning the dust out of the computer
-checking for RAM errors
-checking for viruses
-disabled overheating protection in BIOS
-doing a stress test on the CPU (screenshot of the temps: http://puu.sh/1m7MT *note, these high temps are only when I test it with prime95 or any other stress tests.)
-doing a stress test on the GPU (always fails at ~70C)
-made sure the airflow in the case is good
-checked for the cards max temp (max operating temperature: 99C)
-disabled anti-virus protection (windows defender (MSE in windows 8))

I am not sure if the card is at fault here or there is some sort of protection that was corrupted and it shuts it down too soon. I still have warranty for this PC, but sending it for repairs is my last resort.

Thanks for reading and good day.

More about : gpu freezing 70c

November 5, 2012 10:30:15 AM

That's indeed a curious problem, since you already disabled the overheating protection and even updated the BIOS than maybe you have some software doing this protection ? also check to see if no other motherboard component is getting too hot together with the gpu.
Indeed i don't see any other alternative but to resort to the warranty after that.
Also if i may say your cpu temperatures are kinda high and dangerous, almost 100C is crazy for a cpu.

Don't forget to make sure to disable any overclock you might have before taking the pc to the store so they can't blame you for anything that might have happen ;) 
m
l
!