I am baffled. Could this just be a coincidence?

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
So, I just put together my new build in an NZXT Phantom 410 Case, with the components listed below.
Asrock Extreme6 1155 Mobo
i5 3570k
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870
Corsair TX650
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA III
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Patriot Viper 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Some generic Disc Drive I had lying around.

When I first put it together and started it up, it went straight to power cycling. The fans would start spinning, the lights would light up, the little red LCD Dr. Debug thing on the motherboard would light up, but only for about 2 seconds before shutting down again and restarting. ***. The only two components I hadn't already tested in a different system were the motherboard and the CPU, so it had to be one of those. The little Dr. Debug screen on the mobo managed to flash a few numbers before it restarted, so I looked them up and found that one of them said some kind of error with the RAM. I tried fiddling around with the configuration of the RAM modules, and by golly, when I only had one module in one specific slot, (The A2 slot to be exact) I got a POST. YAY! The UEFI BIOS showed that every component seemed to be healthy, CPU included thank god. I figured the other slots must just be dead, and so I took the motherboard back to microcenter and exchanged it for a new one of the same model. When I got the system back together again, same ******* thing. It would power cycle until I had only one RAM module in the A2 slot. Is this just a ridiculous coincidence, or could something else be wrong? Like I said before, the Mobo and CPU were the ONLY components I hadn't already tested in my other system, and they all were working just fine. What could possibly be wrong? Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Have you tried inserting both RAM modules in each and every slot? Have you tried running the RAM modules in dual-channel mode? If so, you may have to configure something in your BIOS. Normally you shouldn't have to touch the BIOS to simply make two RAM modules work correctly, but take a shot at it. If you can't figure it out, take the motherboard back and tell them that you are experiencing the same exact issues. If both of your RAM modules work properly you need to switch up to a new motherboard model or brand.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Have you tried inserting both RAM modules in each and every slot? Have you tried running the RAM modules in dual-channel mode? If so, you may have to configure something in your BIOS. Normally you shouldn't have to touch the BIOS to simply make two RAM modules work correctly, but take a shot at it. If you can't figure it out, take the motherboard back and tell them that you are experiencing the same exact issues. If both of your RAM modules work properly you need to switch up to a new motherboard model or brand.

Solution