Your question

Best GPU for my system

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 11:45:09 AM

Hi There,

I know its been asked multiple times on these forums but I am novice and really finding it tough to decide what could work best for me.

My current system spec is as below:

2.4 GHz Quad Core Processor (Intel Q6600)
8 GB DDRII RAM
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics
500GB 7200 RPM HDD
LG Super Multi Blue DVD RW, HD DVD, Blu Ray Drive
Power Supply - CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L -
Monitor - 32" LG LCD 1080p

Problem:
Am a photographer and i use this machine extensively for processing my images. Many a times i have noticed that while editing images it gets stuck, takes longer than normal to convert the raw files, in full screen the image looks pixalated. Also, while playing blu-ray quality movie files it lags, have to restart always.

Someone told me that this could be an issue with my graphics card and also as i am using a 5 quid adapter to convert he DVI to HDMI for tv. Is this the real problem?

What could be the best graphics card available to run on my setup above? Please suggest.

More about : gpu system

November 4, 2012 12:42:40 PM

1. The Adapter would only affect the output, but not the actual process it self

2. I have some doubts that the GPU is the culprit, check software first (BluRay issue)

3. As for image loading, I think it's more to do with your hard drive or software than the GPU,

November 4, 2012 5:32:26 PM

Thanks. I use the same set of software in my laptop which is a dell i3 and never had any issues with it. Do you think i should upgrade my gpu. What would that be? Pls advise.
November 6, 2012 4:47:32 AM

the 4850's GPU should be considerably faster than what you got on the Core i3,
Could just be an old and failing GPU.

Try it on another desktop to double check first. It's age could mean so.
!