I5 2500k + HD 7750 or i3 3220 + 650 Ti

Which do you think will be best for Video editing and moderate gaming?

Also to be noted, if i do get the i5, i can only afford to get 4gb of ram but with the i3, I can get 8gb.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about 2500k 7750 3220
  1. For video editing, you want more cores. I would suggest an AMD FX-6300 (which is priced like an i3) and then you can get the higher end video card. Try to get a Radeon 7850 1GB if you can, but if not then the 650 Ti is the next best alternative.

    If you are stuck with Intel, then it is a tough choice. You want the i5 for video editing vs the i3, but then you are going to get maybe about half the fps or much lower resolutions vs the 650Ti. So it's like you can't get a good in between setup that is good for both. That's why I'd suggest the AMD six core 6300.

    4GB is fine for gaming, but I'd want 8 for video editing.

    Oh, and if you do decide on i5, don't get the 2500K, get a 3000 series as they are the newer ivy bridge series.
  2. I was actually contemplating the 6300 a while back, but everyone i asked said that it would perform at an i3's level or a Bit above BUT drink almost 2x more electricity so that's why i ruled it out. I'm not really gonna be doing any mega hardcore gaming(mainly the PCSX2 emulator to play my PS2 games) but I'm still not absolutely sure(I may wanna play some Crysis or Battlefield 3 later on down the line). Alternatively i could get a cheaper i5 with something like a HD 7770 or a 6850; would that be a better choice?
  3. Video editing using premiere favors NVIDIA card

    You need to see the benchmark here to know how improvement you will get (hint:huge improvement, dont be shocked), i know it is a long article but you can skip right to benchmark
    http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

    using CUDA as hardware processing is called mercury playback engine, it needs minimum 1GB DDR5 and 125-bit card from any series NVIDIA. yeah GTX 660 Ti or GTX 660 or GTX650 Ti will do

    believe me, get 4 real core. and it is intel i5. you can get 4gb right now and add another 4gb in the future. 8 gb is enough :D
  4. Way2much said:
    I was actually contemplating the 6300 a while back, but everyone i asked said that it would perform at an i3's level or a Bit above BUT drink almost 2x more electricity so that's why i ruled it out. I'm not really gonna be doing any mega hardcore gaming(mainly the PCSX2 emulator to play my PS2 games) but I'm still not absolutely sure(I may wanna play some Crysis or Battlefield 3 later on down the line). Alternatively i could get a cheaper i5 with something like a HD 7770 or a 6850; would that be a better choice?


    It performs on an i3 level for games, but better for multithreaded apps like video editing. It does use more power.

    i5-3450 + 7770 would be a great compromise. There's not really a huge difference in performance between the various i5's, but there is between an i3 and i5. If you do use Premiere, then go Nvidia, but most video products can accelerate on the Radeon cards or even the Intel Quicksync
  5. twelve25 said:
    It performs on an i3 level for games, but better for multithreaded apps like video editing. It does use more power.

    i5-3450 + 7770 would be a great compromise. There's not really a huge difference in performance between the various i5's, but there is between an i3 and i5. If you do use Premiere, then go Nvidia, but most video products can accelerate on the Radeon cards or even the Intel Quicksync


    Yeah, i'm now probably spend a bit more and get an i5-3470 or 3550 with either a HD 7770 or a 650 ti. I know there is a 100 mhz difference between the 3470 and the 3550; is it worth the extra £15 to get the 3550 over the 3470? Also would you recommend the 650ti over the 7770?

    Thanks.
  6. Since they are the same processor technology, you can just compare GHz for performance ratings. So the 3470 will have 32/33 of the performance of the 3550. Personally, I don't think it's worth much. I'd get the cheapest one you can find unless you want to overclock and then it's got to be the 3570K. I would even look into the 3450 if you can find it.

    650 Ti is a nice upgrade over the 7770: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-6.html
  7. twelve25 said:
    Since they are the same processor technology, you can just compare GHz for performance ratings. So the 3470 will have 32/33 of the performance of the 3550. Personally, I don't think it's worth much. I'd get the cheapest one you can find unless you want to overclock and then it's got to be the 3570K. I would even look into the 3450 if you can find it.

    650 Ti is a nice upgrade over the 7770: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-6.html


    Thanks for all the help man, i've decided to get an i5 3470 with a GTX 650 ti. Out of curiosity, how do you choose a best answer?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Video Editing Intel i5 HD Systems