System upgrade gpu bottleneck worries

jerrysmacker

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Greetings fellow hardware enthusiast!

I am currently ordering new parts to upgrade my older Gaming Pc and while i have a small budget for this task i believe i have made some good choices when it comes to sacrificing price over performance, but i am now worried that the choise to keep my current Graphics cards may have been the wrong one and that they may bottleneck my system.

Old specs:

X58 MOBO
I7 920 (Standard clock)
7200rpm maxtor
6gb ddr3 2133mhz (running 1333mhz)
2xEvga 470gtx sli
1000watt corsair psu.

Keeping from old system:
2xEvga 470sli
1000watt corsair
7200rpm maxtor

New purchase:
I5 3570K
8GB G.Skill ares 2x4 1866 CL9
Intel SSDNow V300 120GB
Asus Sabertooth Z77
(with the old gfx/psu)
2x Evga 470sli
1000watt corsair
7200rpm maxtor

Now my worries are that i will only see little to none improvement to my game performance due to my gpu creating a bottleneck in my system.

Should i be worried about this?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Jerry

twelve25

Distinguished
I think you are right. THe largest determinate in your gaming performance is always your video cards. Unless you have a terrible processor or you are seeing CPU cores at 100% while gaming, upgrading to a new processor will do zero for game performance.

Are you seeing processor bottlenecks during games? You have a pretty high end video card setup with the 2 480s,

jerrysmacker

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
No i havent recived the new parts yet, but i am hoping they will arrive around the 28th.

So you don't think the 470's will be a slowdown for the system?

I am certainly hoping to see some improvements with the bigger cpu, ram and motherboard and the new ssd aswell. Reason for upgrading was simply because i was experiencing slowdowns in games such as farcry 3 and Planetside 2. While my friend running the exact same old setup but with a i950 had no such issues.

Any thoughts on that is also highly appreciated.

Regards
Jerry

twelve25

Distinguished
I meant are you seeing a bottleneck on the the CPU in your current system.

The GPUs are nearly always the bottleneck for a gaming rig. I would imagine they are in your current system as well.

TRENDING THREADS