Sign in with
Your question
Solved

120Hz vs 3D?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 1:37:03 PM

I have a budget of $250 and I got 2 choices of monitors to purchase. One is 120Hz and not sold with glasses and not compatible with AMD cards and the other one is normal 3D monitor sold with glasses. They both cost the same, which one would be a better choice. Does 3D get boring after a while?

Acer GD235HZbid: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LG D2342PB-PN: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any other suggestions of products around $250 for 120Hz monitors?

More about : 120hz

a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 123 C Monitor
November 4, 2012 2:11:00 PM

How important is using 3D out of the box?

That is a rather difficult choice. I personally would chose the Acer (assuming an Nvidia graphics card) and buy the 3D kit at a later date. My reasoning is the Acer would give me 120hz, which is very nice if you can get over 80 FPS. Games become more responsive and fluid. It also removes my nausea caused by simulator sickness. In 3D, the active shutter system allows for full 1080p resolution.

The LG system is passive, which means you will see 1920x540 in resolution. There are people who like this system, as it is brighter and the glasses are lighter and cheap, but most people comment on how awful text looks, as well as you can see every other line is missing on the image, though I'm told this is less noticeable at a distance.
November 4, 2012 6:21:48 PM

I remember reading about the dangers of 3D apparently it can cause this one syndrome(I forgot what its called) where your eyes don't know what to focus on, I don't mean while wearing the glasses I mean if you watch a lot of 3D I guess you get that syndrome and its permanent or so that's what I got out of it anyway.But in any case you should check out the medical implications of 3D that might help with your decision, having said that I have a 120hertz 3D monitor and glasses but having vaguely read that article about 3D's dangers I just use it for 120hertz functionality and just watch 2D movies but I was never all that interested in 3D in the first place.
Related resources
November 4, 2012 7:44:06 PM

heallqnco said:
I remember reading about the dangers of 3D apparently it can cause this one syndrome(I forgot what its called) where your eyes don't know what to focus on, I don't mean while wearing the glasses I mean if you watch a lot of 3D I guess you get that syndrome and its permanent or so that's what I got out of it anyway.But in any case you should check out the medical implications of 3D that might help with your decision, having said that I have a 120hertz 3D monitor and glasses but having vaguely read that article about 3D's dangers I just use it for 120hertz functionality and just watch 2D movies but I was never all that interested in 3D in the first place.

Downs?
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2012 7:52:30 PM

I would go for the acer out those two but to each his/her own.

Best solution

November 4, 2012 7:57:18 PM

Here is my go at this...

I love 3d gaming, movies are okish but 3d gaming is just awesome, however a couple of things you should know before going down that route...

Nvidia 3d vision 2 is a lot better than 1, lightboost makes a huge difference, with 1 you cant see many details, due to lack of overall brightness.

your fps will take a big hit, that will mean lowering settings because you will want at least 80 fps (40 for each eye).

You will need to learn a bit about convergence, separation and mainly learn what you like!

Take a look at this site, it has excellent guides. http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php .

IMO it is worth it and it is the single most immersing setting I can enjoy in any given game (where it actually is well implemented)
November 4, 2012 8:02:14 PM

Ended up not answering your question... No, 3D doesn't get boring. Your limits will rise over time, initially you will only be comfortable with a slight 3d effect. A couple of months later you will surely prefer a big 3d effect and miss it when playing in 2d.

That said, I would not recommend any of those monitors for 3d gaming. At least the xl2420t... So maybe that is a bit out of your league. You will see a lot of ghosting and lack of details, which isn't akin to the true 3D experience
November 15, 2012 12:57:32 AM

Best answer selected by asalikus.
!