GPU Temps are really high with new case

hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hey guys, I recently built a new computer recycling my existing GPU and after many problems I finally got it working! :D

Anyways the problem is that my old Xfx Radeon 4870 1gb graphics card is running even hotter in my new case which is a Coolermaster HAF 922 which has an extra 2 fans built into it compared to my old case. The old isn't branded but the case wasn't great and the only fan was on the back of it.

Coolermaster HAF 922 GPU temp: 71°C idle and averaging around 92°C whilst playing Arma 2.

In my old case the temps would never reach over 84°C whilst the GPU was under stress and I thought that was bad enough. I don't seem to have the same problem with my new CPU however as that's running around 18°C idle which is pretty chilly for a stock cooler!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could lower the temperatures? And to note I'm using a temporary 450W PSU which may be insufficient for the power needs of the GPU but I'm not too sure on this.

Thanks!

G

Even at 84°C seems pretty high, let alone 92°C. Have you some fans blowing at the GPU? Is the fan on the GPU operating correctly? It could be many different things, it may even be a faulty sensor but I'm not sure as I don't own this card.

hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
One of the exterior fans is blowing just above the card and the PSU fan is blowing directly into it. There is also a fan on the top of the case but I'm not sure if that's getting much airflow to the card. I'll be getting a new PSU soon once Corsair have replaced the faulty one they sent me so hopefully that may cool the card abit better.