GPU performance issue

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hi everyone.So when I play any game (for example NFS The Run) I get 20-10 FPS at MAX settings and 1600x1200 res. Before i had the ''AMD has stopped working'' issue (which I got fixed), the game was running smooth with no lags at all at around 40-30 FPS, but now it is not playable. What could be the reason ? PLEASE HELP !!!

Specs:

AMD FX-4170 stock speed with Corsair H60 push/pull

ASUS AMD Radeon HD7770 1020mhz stock

ASUS M5A97 PRO

16 GB Corsair Vengance RAM 1600mhz

WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200RPm

Cooler Master Elite 460 W PSU

Cooler Master Elite 430 Case

Thank you in advance :) :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

G

I remember when I had an ATI 6850 (I had two faulty cards, one after the other), one of them had a problem where the driver always stopped responding during games and there were black dots on the screen. Are you noticing any artifacts (weird lines, black dots) on the screen at any time? I'm not entirely sure how much power this card requires, but 460 W seems a bit low.

You should firstly update drivers and update existing drivers. You should also check to see what software you have installed and running. It may also be a good idea to check your cables too.

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Well. On the GPU box says that the minimum PSU power is 450W :D So I am at the border. My driver is 12.10 (the latest). I don't see any kind of artefacts. And the GPU was running very good a week back. I have this issue from 2 days. Thank you for the reply. ;)

I will appreciate more suggestions :)

G

450 watts is borderline. In some cases systems can cope with less than the minimum wattage but it's always best to have at least the recommended power requirements in order for optimum performance. Check the system temps and monitor them. HWiNFO is a good program for monitoring temps: http://www.hwinfo.com/

If of course this poor performance continues, I suggest you re-seat system components, re-install and update drivers and possibly re-install your operating system.

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Well. GPU runs at 70c at full gaming load. BTW, I don't think the PSU is the problem, because a week ago, there was no issues and the games were running flawless. But now they are lagging a lot. :(

G

Just because "one week ago ..." doesn't mean we shouldn't rule it out. It still could be the problem. PSUs loose their capacity from day one and not only that but it could be faulty. I'm not going to put my money on it, but it's a possibility nonetheless. I think that 70c isn't too bad, but is there sufficient case cooling? Do you mind monitoring CPU temp and usage along with RAM usage while ingame?

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you for the quick response.

My memory usage while gaming (need for speed most wanted 2) is 3,48-GB ( I have 16-GB total). My CPU usage is 100% and my CPU temps are 68 with an H60 in push/pull at 25 degrees ambient temperatures. :sweat:

G

100% CPU usage? This could be a problem. Meanwhile the CPU temps are within a reasonable range, which shouldn't be of concern. As for the RAM usage, it's fine, should be no problems here.

You could check your enabled services enabled and disable ones not needed by opening "run" (Windows ket + R), entering "msconfig" and looking through enabled services. You should also open task manager and while ingame monitor which processes are using the most resources as this may be the source of lag. This may not be likely but you could also scan for viruses and rouge software which may be causing issues. There is also a chance that if you have an anti-virus installed it may be using quite a lot of your resources (yet I don't recommend you disabled this).

Just have a try at what I've suggested and let me know how it goes.

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you for the reply.

So all my 4 cores are running at 100% load.

I don't have an antivirus. I use firewall.

But the thing that I noticed today is that this morning when I was playing NFS Most Wanted, I got around 40 FPS which is good. But right now when I got back from school, I started my NFS Most Wanted and it gets 22-10 FPS. It sounds very crazy :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

I don't know what may be the reason of this anomaly, but it looks like the GPU has a mind of its own :D

P.S. I accept any suggestions. And thanks for the fast reply. ;)

G

This is what concerns me. If your CPU is at 100% load could mean that another process is using a lot of your CPU resources or the CPU is compensating for some other hardware that can't keep up. I can't really take guesses at what the problem is, so you'll need to test some stuff. You should seriously try re-installing and updating drivers if you haven't already. You could try re-seating your hardware. Maybe this is the wrong thing to say but you could re-install Windows.

Also I'd like to add that I'm baffled by the fact a time difference would affect your game performance. Does this often happen?

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
So I've updated all my drivers, I closed all the processes and yes this thing with the changing FPS is happening very often.

Thank you for the fast reply and I will appreciate some more help If someone knows how to fix my issue. :) :sweat: :sweat:

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
OK so today I got my new PSU so I don't think that the PSU should be the problem. Even with the new 850 W Power Supply I still get low FPS. :pfff:

G

Err? I didn't suggest you replace the PSU, I just said 460 W is quite low. There is obviously some problem somewhere as your CPU usage is 100% (which is the cause of the lag most likely). You could re-install Windows if you don't want to mess around with settings and hardware.

maximilian4o

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
:D Don't worry . I didn't replace the PSU because of you :D I did it because if I wanted an GPU upgrade, I wasn't going to be able to run it at 460W :D