Why does my PC crash while watching videos?

ellondu

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
When I watch a video, whether it is a stream or youtube video, if I watch it for too long, my computer crashes. The computer shows all black and gray striped lines vertically oriented, and the sounds of the video stops after a second. The only way to get around is to do a hard reset. What should I do? I've tried downgrading and upgrading the drivers from the ones I had, and I uninstalled the drivers completely each time.

Btw my card is an AMD HD 7770 Ghz Edition by HIS and my OS is Win 7 64. Let me know if you need any other info.

P.S.: I tried searching to see if anyone else has/had this issue, and I could only find something similar but with green lines, and these are definitely dark and not green in color.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Sounds like signs of a failing GPU. I could be wrong as I am very new in this field of technology. Run something like GPU Temp and make sure your GPU isn't over heating.

Do you blow out dust and make sure your case is clean regularly? This will cause unwanted heat. Insure that fans are blowing and cables aren't obstructing air flow. Also, check connections, drivers, etc. It doesn't hurt either, but make sure you CPU isn't overheating either. Reseating the GPU wouldn't hurt either.

yep sounds like a overheating graphics processor, make sure the vent to the machine are not blocked and that the fan is still working. feel the vent to see if hot air is coming out of the graphics processor/ machine. Sometimes the little fan gets dust on them and they stop moving, often you can just blow the dust out or tap the fan to get them to spin again.

There could be other causes but that is the most likely and it is pretty easy to fix.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

It still requires processing, which requires more load and when something isn't getting cooled properly, it will get hot. It may not be getting hot enough to shut down when you are at idle on desktop, not watching any videos or animations, but once you start a video and it requires more power, things can get hot quickly.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Then I would take twelve25's suggestion and check out the Flash installation you have. Hopefully that is the problem. I always seem to think its always overheating :p

ellondu

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I just reinstalled chrome and removed everything with adobe flash in the name and I am still getting the flickering on the bottom of the screen, a sign that the crash is coming, so i have to close the page.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

When you say it doesn't crash during gameplay, does it have any artifacts or screen flickering? There must something you can't see going on. I'd find it safe to say there is something wrong with your GPU and I would get it checked out if you are still under warranty.

ellondu

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
There is now a small flickering of about a cm at the bottom of the screen when I am watching videos. I'm startnig to think this is because I am using a tv as a monitor.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I'm not sure how that would make much of a difference. They're practically the same devices, just one has more features than the other.