plug and play seemingly not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,

I recently replaced my HDD and completely reinstalled the
OS (winXP). After installing SP1 and SP2 I proceeded to
installling all of my peipherals. As I tried to instal all
of these USB peripherals I ran into the same code 10 error
over and over. A few of these devices were plug and play
and others required the CD. Regardless, none of them were
being installed successfully. I tried all of these devices
on another comp and they work fine. On the computer having
the installation problems, I am having no other problems
whatsoever. Let me be clear in saying that I am having NO
problems whatsoever on the affected HHD besides the
peripherals not installing with or without a disk. The new
HDD is a western and the OS install was very clean. The
only problem I am having is with the devices NOT installing
on my USB ports. Any prompt help is appreciated.

I noticed many others having this problem. I don't know how
these boards work, but having a solution post or FAQ for
this particular problem would keep these boards a little
'cleaner' and cut down on the frustration factor of a
serious problem that seems to be affecting many people.
Whatever the case, I will find the solution and try to post
it in as many places as possible since MS doesn't seem to
want to. thanks all.

And you did remember to reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers?

BTW SP2 includes SP1.
www.coribright.com

"head scratcher" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently replaced my HDD and completely reinstalled the
> OS (winXP). After installing SP1 and SP2 I proceeded to
> installling all of my peipherals. As I tried to instal all
> of these USB peripherals I ran into the same code 10 error
> over and over. A few of these devices were plug and play
> and others required the CD. Regardless, none of them were
> being installed successfully. I tried all of these devices
> on another comp and they work fine. On the computer having
> the installation problems, I am having no other problems
> whatsoever. Let me be clear in saying that I am having NO
> problems whatsoever on the affected HHD besides the
> peripherals not installing with or without a disk. The new
> HDD is a western and the OS install was very clean. The
> only problem I am having is with the devices NOT installing
> on my USB ports. Any prompt help is appreciated.

Yes, i reinstalled all of the systems drivers from the
original boot up disk(s). Thank you for the reply and
thanks for letting me know that SP1 is included in the SP2
dl. all this time I just thought SP2 was just an
inconvenience disguised as an update. ATM I am copying many
of the posts from this thread that are common to my own in
hopes that I can submit it as an FAQ for this (very) common
problem. Oh, and thanks again for being prompt, Cari

oh, no that didnt solve my problem but i was saying
'thanks'for the reply. i guess you work for MS too. cheers
all and gl.

>>And you did remember to reinstall the motherboard chipset
>drivers?
>>
>>BTW SP2 includes SP1.
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>www.coribright.com
>.

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

I had a few bugs after installing SP2(after installing mb drivers)
Once I had re installed MB drivers again(after sp2), no problems at all.
In fact the only"bugs"I had were USB, graphics card and sound.
I reformatted and tried installing windows XP, the MB drivers and then SP2
and there were loads of strange problems.
Reformatted again, installed MB drivers and updated ones, then SP2 and now
no bugs.