Built a new computer today. No display/beeps when attempting to boot.

Enchengo

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello everyone. I recently decided to attempt to build my own computer. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology so I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyway, I finished the PC today, connected it to my display, powered it up, and my display receives no video signal. No beep or anything. However, everything in the case seems to run fine. All of the fans are running and the LEDs on the motherboard are lit up. The temperature reader is giving the temperature of the CPU. I've tried most of the solutions I've read. I've tried starting it using on-board graphics and still no luck, the only thing I have left to do is breadboard it. Earlier, I tried to start the computer with no sticks of RAM installed, and I still heard no beeps. Shouldn't my motherboard beep like crazy if it has no RAM in the slots?

My specs are:
Intel Core-i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Biostar TZ77XE4
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 core
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
650W Apevia PSU
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler

And, yes, my 8-pin CPU power connector is plugged in.

Anyway, thanks in advance, and happy holidays.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
You paid good money for all your computer parts except your power supply, the first place you do not skimp is on the power supply, it has to power all the other components in your system, I would replace the power suplly with a good quality brand like Seasonic, Corsair or Antec.

Enchengo

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Is it possible that my PSU is powering my fans, case LEDs, HDD, and DVD drive, and not properly powering my motherboard? All of my USB slots work. My GPU fan is running. It's just strange to me that everything seems to be working fine except the video signal. Of course, I'm new to this, and I'm probably wrong.

Enchengo

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Ok, so I breadboarded my motherboard to make sure there was no contact with the case. I ran through the checklist and finally got it to boot when I put one stick of RAM in the 3rd slot. It will also boot if I have two, one in 3 and one in 4. It recognizes both sticks in the memory setting. However, it will not boot with a single stick in slot 1 and it does not boot with one in slot 1 and one in slot 3. Also, when the BIOS is starting up. It says something along the lines of "CPU has changed" and "CMOS fail". Is there any way I can upload a picture to this forum or do I need to link from another site?

Thanks!

Enchengo

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
It actually says "CMOS fail, press del. to enter setup". What does this mean? I've reset the CMOS using the button on the motherboard and it still says it when the BIOS starts up. Is the CMOS battery dead or what?

Thanks.

Enchengo

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
RAM model number is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. I edited a few settings in the BIOS and no longer get the CMOS fail screen. However, the motherboard still will not boot if there is any RAM in slot 1 or 2.