Graphics Card for Gaming and rendering

HeXp Renegade

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I am building my own computer and need a graphics card for gaming and rendering in sony vegas. The processor I will be using is the 3770k. I play LoL, SC2, and maybe assassins creed 3, and bf3. What is the best gpu in the 200-300 dollar price range.

I have been looking at the Superclocked 660, superclocked 660ti, and the radeon 7870.

HeXp Renegade

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Ok thanks should I build it or get it off cyberpower? My build I want is the i7 3770k and I think I will overclock it. 8gb of ram. What motherboard is good for overclocking that is cheap? And what case looks good and has good cooling that is cheap? The case Ive been I like is the Antec Nine Hundred 2 V3. Any better ones. Is and ssd worth is? Thanks in advance. My budget for the build is 1200.

i7 3770k is kind of useless and waste of money for gaming. Drop down to i5-3570k which will have same performance, and invest in a better graphics card from the savings. Rendering in sony vegas also uses GPU, so it will speed that up as well.

Here's a good motherboard: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74161&vpn=GA-Z77X-D3H&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1360

Good looking case is personal preference, so choose one and we'll tell you whether it's good on cooling side :). The case you've been looking at is kind of expensive doesn't have PSU air intake, so it is not the best case. I would not buy it.

SSD is worth it for sure. Trust me on this one - it makes your computer look so fast.

And lastly, you should build it :p.

HeXp Renegade

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Okay Im am gonna go with that motherboard as long as it is good for overclocking. However as for the CPU I thing I am going with the 3770k because of its hyperthreading as rendering and livestreaming is more important to me then gaming. I need to be able livestream MW3 from my xbox 360 in 720p. Also the two games I play most (LoL and SC2) are not very demanding in terms up gpu i heard. All I need is a GPU that can run those games at least at 60fps on high settings and will also speed up my rendering. What is the cheapest GPU would you reccommend for that if I dont get the radeon 7950? I dont want to upgrade in the near future. BTW I intend to get an ssd now. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
One thing, I don't think keplers work with Sony Vegas....Not sure if this has changed recently though...not 100% on 7xxx AMD cards either, definitely drop sony an email checking because they are very vague when it comes to this....

If you do alot of editing the i7 is worthwhile

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
The 650ti isn't really that good for 1080 gaming, If you are working to a budget then dropping the i7 for an i5 and getting a better card would be a better option...

The Extreme4 is a great board, very similar to the D3H, The D3H has arguably slightly better overclocking potential and a nicer UEFI but its usually reflected in the price...Both are very good at that price point

HeXp Renegade

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
OK thanks what would be the best build for me Im getting so many opions and am confused. Budget is under 1k for the build. Im using it for gaming and rendering as I said in 1080p. I only play LoL and SC2 right now. Gonna probably OC. What OS is the best windows 7 or 8?

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I could draw you up a rough build, not very familiar with Canadian money though but will have a look around NCIX and Newegg for you...is there anything you don't need such as PSU or hard drives?

Can't really comment on windows 8, only played about with it briefly..Tbh I don't really like the whole Metro UI thing and support can be a bit limited as its still fairly new...But I think it has been generally accepted quite well, will just take me a while before I switch..

HeXp Renegade

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
My budget is around 700 euros. A little over is fine if it makes a big difference. I prefer ncix but newegg is fine too. I wanna be able to render videos quick. I play LoL ALOT and might start into SC2. I will be livestreaming my xbox gameplay alot on twitch in 720p. http://www.livestream.com/userguide/index.php?title=System_requirements
this says I need an i7 2600 or better. Any help on the build will be greatly appreciated. PS probably will experiment with OC

How about this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.08 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.65 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1076.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

If it's too expensive, I'd suggest dropping back to i5. i7 is really overpriced... You don't really want to compromise on anything else (not to mention that SSD did not fit into the budget).

Solution