[AMD Radeon] 7850 Causing random black screen crashes?

tbrx

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

Just a few days ago I ordered parts for my new build. I'm having a really odd issue with my new hardware and I can't seem to stem where the problem is coming from exactly, but something suggests it has something to do with the GPU after doing some research.

Currently running on Windows 8 Pro x64

My new hardware:

AMD FX-8320
MSI 970A-G46 AMD970 AM3+ MB
XFX 7850 Core Edition 1 GB
2x 4GB 1333 sticks of Crucial Memory (Using these temporarily til my other RAM arrives)

Recycled from old build:

Corsair 750TXW PSU
Hard Drives

This only seems to happen when I'm running or using Google Chrome (I'm on firefox now, just to test to see what happens), never when I'm gaming, folding, stress testing, or doing anything intensive, and it's happened about five times now total.

When I finished my build I was using my old Windows 8 install from before, and when the crashes started happening I assumed it was some driver issue, maybe an old driver from my 4890 was not uninstalled properly or something, and I read some research about how the AMD HDMI audio Drivers can conflict so I reformatted.

Used my computer for two more days after reformatting and everything seemed great, no black screen crash or anything. I just finished a game of CS GO for the free weekend and started browsing with chrome. 10-15 minutes while browsing I noticed maybe a page I've never been to before hadn't seemed to render all the way if that makes any sense? And immediately my machine black screened and rebooted by itself.

To make sure it hasn't been anything else, I've ran prime blend for 8 hours, IBT, and OCCT tests, and all have passed. 3dmark11 benchmark results seem normal. I'm asssuming its software related because of it, and again, it only seems to obviously happen with chrome. Does anyone have any ideas or similar problems? Thanks!

nikita787

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

Either the card is a dud or its a problem with the drivers try updating the drivers I hope this helps :p

tbrx

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Drivers are up to date and the card performs fine otherwise, and this is on a new install as well. No issues with the card folding, stress testing or anything else lead me to believe that it isn't hardware related.