Nearing the end of finishing my new computer

CylverFX

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Greetings TH Community,

My name is Carlos and this is the very first time I've ever posted anything on any forum (Normally, I would just do the research myself). For the past three months, I've been doing research for my first ever, own computer build and Tom's Hardware is one of my favourite website to go to when I need something reviewed. Without further ado, I will jump into the list of parts I already purchased or still planning on purchasing.

Processor: 1x Intel Core i7 3930K LGA2011 3.2GHz (Owned x1)
Motherboard: 1x ASUS RoG Rampage IV Extreme (Owned x1)
Memory: 8x Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 (Owned x8)
Video Card: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 4GB
Solid State Drive: 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (Owned x1)
Hard Drive: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (Owned x2)
Optical Drive: 1x ASUS BC-12B1ST (Owned x1)
Power Supply: 1x Corsair AX1200i (Owned x1)
Sound Card: 1x ASUS RoG Xonar Phoebus
Case: 1x Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (Owned x1)***
CPU Cooling: 1x Corsair H100i
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp Series U2711 2560x1440 (Owned x2)
Keyboard: 1x Azio Levetron Mech5 (Owned x1)
Mouse: 1x MadCatz Cyborg R.A.T. 7 (Owned x1)

I recently started making purchases on most of the parts. As you can see, lines that are highlighted in red are still yet to be purchased. I've already purchased the case but it is highlighted in blue. The very first one I bought out of all these is the Case and the reason is that I was planning of going for a White/Blue theme and at first I thought the case looked really cool. After doing a bit more of research I saw a lot of "better looking" case. Also, the fact that I ended up buying the Rampage IV Extreme which is Black/Red made me decide to change the colour theme.

I have my eyes on these computer cases:
Corsair 800D (I love the gigantic window and the case finish BUT its a bit too simplistic for my taste and I've also heard about this having bad air flow)
NZXT Phantom 820 [Matte Black] (Awesome shape and design, Built-in SD Card and fan/LED controller BUT window is too small and hard drive bays are too flimsy)
NZXT Switch 810 [Black] (Design is mediocre in my opinion, love the big window BUT apparently, the case finish looks cheap)
Cooler Master Storm Trooper (Looks good, I honestly don't know much about this case but it has no windows)
Thermaltake Level 10 GT [Black] (I loved the look of this case but I'm slowly disliking it now. I love the left panel door hinge BUT it has tiny window)

Note: I'm going for an Air-cooled build, I like to show off and I believe in good presentation.

1. Which case would YOU get if you had these parts? Why? (You may suggest anything out of the list)
2. Since, I'm planning on Air-cooling this (except the CPU) which fan would you suggest me go for? I already own some Corsair AF120/AF140 Quiet Edition but don't mind buying a different one.
3. If I go for a case that doesn't have a built in LED lighting and fan/led controller, Which one should I get?
4. Am I missing anything else that I need to get this computer working? Cables, Thermal Compound, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Carlos

g-unit1111

Titan
1. Which case would YOU get if you had these parts? Why? (You may suggest anything out of the list)

I'd go for the Switch 810 myself, I wouldn't get the Storm Trooper and the Level 10 is overrated. The Phantom 820 is a great case but it has a few minor flaws that in the long run could get really annoying. The Corsair 800D is nice but if you don't need the hot swap hard drive bays, you're overpaying for a feature that you won't use.

Alternately here's a couple that I would suggest that are not on the list:

Azza Hurrican 2000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010
Cooler Master Cosmos II: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119252&Tpk=cosmos%20ii

2. Since, I'm planning on Air-cooling this (except the CPU) which fan would you suggest me go for? I already own some Corsair AF120/AF140 Quiet Edition but don't mind buying a different one.

I wouldn't bother purchasing extra fans until *AFTER* you get your case. I've seen people come in here who want to get high end builds and they plan on spending $150+ on extra fans. Bad idea. You can only get as many fans as your case has mounts for and the size and placement of them is extremely important. I'd heavily suggest reading this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

4. Am I missing anything else that I need to get this computer working? Cables, Thermal Compound, etc.

No you don't need things like static wrist straps, cables, thermal compound, or any of that stuff. Accessories like that are just a waste of money. Everything comes with one part or another. Your PSU will include all the cables and cable ties. Your heat sink will include thermal compound. Your case includes all the screws and mounts you need. You don't need to waste money on a tool kit either.

If you don't already have the sound card, don't buy one. You don't need it. I'd also switch the GPU - instead of the Asus 670 with that gigantic 3 slot card design, get the Gigabyte Windforce instead. Much better cooling.

CylverFX

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hey g-unit1111,

Thanks for the well-informed reply. I am already leaning towards NZXT's Switch 810 and you just sealed the deal.

For the Switch 810's fans, I've already made plans for it as well.
2x 140mm Front Intake (through the 3.5" Bays).
1x 140mm Bottom Intake (2x if I remove one of the removable 3.5" Bays).
3x 120mm Top Exhaust (2x with the H100i Radiator, 1x extra 120mm slot)
1x 140mm Rear Exhaust
Plus an extra 140mm Interior Fan than can either be pointed towards the GPU or the Top area of the Case.

Unless it has some negative effect to my build, I'd probably still purchase the Sound Card just because I can and the Phoebus looks cool. I am planning on using a 5.1 Surround Sound System for Music and Movies. I originally wanted a Xonar Essence ST with a Xonar H6 as a daughter card for a 7.1 channel sound card but the yellow would just look ugly.

I actually wasn't considering ASUS GPU at all mainly because of the 3-slot design. Since they recently released a 2-slot version of their GTX 670/680, I am now being dragged between getting a Referenced (EVGA) or a Non-referenced (ASUS) Graphics Card.