azurehobo

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Two days ago my Radeon XFX 6870 started to make a low grinding. humming noise. I can temporarily fix it by manually stopping the fan for a second with my finger, but it will come back every time I power up the system. Could it be the bearing going bad or it being off balance? It should still be under warranty since I got it this year (June). Looking for a fix, and I'd rather use the stock cooler than an aftermarket at this time.

Should be this card

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

A noise like you are describing is typical of a sleeve bearing going bad (or the grease having run out) or in rare cases, lack of lubrication for the ball bearings. I wouldn't think XFX would skimp out on grease for the ball bearing, but outside of warranty claim the only solution I can think of is to look at the backside of the fan for an access port for grease. It's a probable chance there won't be one (I've heard of some drilling a grease access hole to shut it up - extreme though), and the other part is a lot of companies void warranty if you tamper with anything, including taking the cooler off. Looking at the reviews though, it seems to be quite a few complaining about the cooling system on that card, including bearing noise. RMA may be your only option in the end here......

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

You'll have to pay one-way shipping unfortunately but XFX is one of the better companies over warranty issues.

azurehobo

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

I'm fine with that honestly, hopefully a new fan will fix the general noise output that the card has.