Sign in with
Your question

GPU fan making loud noises

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 9:32:27 PM

Two days ago my Radeon XFX 6870 started to make a low grinding. humming noise. I can temporarily fix it by manually stopping the fan for a second with my finger, but it will come back every time I power up the system. Could it be the bearing going bad or it being off balance? It should still be under warranty since I got it this year (June). Looking for a fix, and I'd rather use the stock cooler than an aftermarket at this time.

Should be this card
November 4, 2012 9:48:09 PM

I would contact XFX. I sure hope you registered the card. They tend to like you doing that.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

I had a 5770 with a rattling(vibrations) fan and asked them for a replacement cooler and not a new card, that is just what they sent to me. That was good because newer 5770s had a higher idle clock speed taking more power(something I do NOT need in my media center pc).
m
l
November 4, 2012 9:54:42 PM

azurehobo said:
Two days ago my Radeon XFX 6870 started to make a low grinding. humming noise. I can temporarily fix it by manually stopping the fan for a second with my finger, but it will come back every time I power up the system. Could it be the bearing going bad or it being off balance? It should still be under warranty since I got it this year (June). Looking for a fix, and I'd rather use the stock cooler than an aftermarket at this time.

Should be this card

A noise like you are describing is typical of a sleeve bearing going bad (or the grease having run out) or in rare cases, lack of lubrication for the ball bearings. I wouldn't think XFX would skimp out on grease for the ball bearing, but outside of warranty claim the only solution I can think of is to look at the backside of the fan for an access port for grease. It's a probable chance there won't be one (I've heard of some drilling a grease access hole to shut it up - extreme though), and the other part is a lot of companies void warranty if you tamper with anything, including taking the cooler off. Looking at the reviews though, it seems to be quite a few complaining about the cooling system on that card, including bearing noise. RMA may be your only option in the end here......
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 10:28:59 PM

Just submitted a ticket, luckily I had it registered due to the Rebate form I did on the card. Now waiting to hear back from support.
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:35:37 PM

XFX is great about warranty and RMA. Once time they offered me (actually my brother, back in double lifetime warranty) a replacement or an upgraded card for $20 that was worth $100 upgrade. It was an easy decision (:
m
l
November 5, 2012 1:09:11 AM

azurehobo said:
Just submitted a ticket, luckily I had it registered due to the Rebate form I did on the card. Now waiting to hear back from support.

You'll have to pay one-way shipping unfortunately but XFX is one of the better companies over warranty issues.
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:14:11 PM

matt_b said:
You'll have to pay one-way shipping unfortunately but XFX is one of the better companies over warranty issues.

I'm fine with that honestly, hopefully a new fan will fix the general noise output that the card has.
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:17:03 PM

Since I had just requested a cooler I did not even have to ship the old card back :) 

If you are ok cleaning and installing the new cooler, maybe you can do it that way too.
m
l
!