GPU fan making loud noises

Two days ago my Radeon XFX 6870 started to make a low grinding. humming noise. I can temporarily fix it by manually stopping the fan for a second with my finger, but it will come back every time I power up the system. Could it be the bearing going bad or it being off balance? It should still be under warranty since I got it this year (June). Looking for a fix, and I'd rather use the stock cooler than an aftermarket at this time.

Should be this card
7 answers Last reply
More about making loud noises
  1. I would contact XFX. I sure hope you registered the card. They tend to like you doing that.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

I had a 5770 with a rattling(vibrations) fan and asked them for a replacement cooler and not a new card, that is just what they sent to me. That was good because newer 5770s had a higher idle clock speed taking more power(something I do NOT need in my media center pc).
  2. azurehobo said:
    Two days ago my Radeon XFX 6870 started to make a low grinding. humming noise. I can temporarily fix it by manually stopping the fan for a second with my finger, but it will come back every time I power up the system. Could it be the bearing going bad or it being off balance? It should still be under warranty since I got it this year (June). Looking for a fix, and I'd rather use the stock cooler than an aftermarket at this time.

Should be this card

A noise like you are describing is typical of a sleeve bearing going bad (or the grease having run out) or in rare cases, lack of lubrication for the ball bearings. I wouldn't think XFX would skimp out on grease for the ball bearing, but outside of warranty claim the only solution I can think of is to look at the backside of the fan for an access port for grease. It's a probable chance there won't be one (I've heard of some drilling a grease access hole to shut it up - extreme though), and the other part is a lot of companies void warranty if you tamper with anything, including taking the cooler off. Looking at the reviews though, it seems to be quite a few complaining about the cooling system on that card, including bearing noise. RMA may be your only option in the end here......
  3. Just submitted a ticket, luckily I had it registered due to the Rebate form I did on the card. Now waiting to hear back from support.
  4. XFX is great about warranty and RMA. Once time they offered me (actually my brother, back in double lifetime warranty) a replacement or an upgraded card for $20 that was worth $100 upgrade. It was an easy decision (:
  5. azurehobo said:
    Just submitted a ticket, luckily I had it registered due to the Rebate form I did on the card. Now waiting to hear back from support.

You'll have to pay one-way shipping unfortunately but XFX is one of the better companies over warranty issues.
  6. matt_b said:
    You'll have to pay one-way shipping unfortunately but XFX is one of the better companies over warranty issues.

I'm fine with that honestly, hopefully a new fan will fix the general noise output that the card has.
  7. Since I had just requested a cooler I did not even have to ship the old card back :)

If you are ok cleaning and installing the new cooler, maybe you can do it that way too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPU Fan Graphics Product