Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer turns on but nothing on monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2012 10:37:21 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this question so I thought graphics and display would be the best place to post. Sorry if this is wrong...

Anyways, to be honest, I am not the best with computers, but I know where things are going. Now let's get in the question :

I recently bought a new computer, all in different parts, who then got put together by a technician. Everything was working great, until I decided to plug the HDMI cable on my PS3 to play a little bit. After I was done playing on the PS3, I plugged the HDMI cable back on the computer and turned it back on, only to see a still, black screen. It's not really a black screen, my monitor has a light that turns blue when something is displayed, and orange when there's nothing to show. The light actually stays orange even know the cable is plugged and the computer is turned on. So I told myself "maybe it's the cable". So I plugged it back on the PS3 only to find out that it was working perfectly... I don't know if it's because of the graphics card, since it's a 2 weeks old gtx 680, but reading the forums for similar problems, I saw that a lot of people seem to be targeting a GPU problem.

What could be the problem?

Thanks to everyone for answering!

More about : computer turns monitor

November 5, 2012 9:50:36 AM

If the PC is running and yet, there is nothing to display on the monitor, there can be many reasons... a little more specifics can help:
does your pc beep (or has it beeped on any occassion?). PC transmits specific beep codes to inform what kind of problem it is facing....
for ex - 3 long beeps - ram problem, continuous long beeps - processor problem and so on.......
if that is not the case, then something else can be considered....
Score

Best solution

November 5, 2012 10:04:50 AM

Let's start with the easiest solution: Did you plug the cable into the gpu or the mobo? If it was the mobo there's your problem.
Related resources
November 6, 2012 8:25:32 PM

Wow, what a fool I can be. It was plugged on the motherboard!
Here's something that I'll never forget to check in the future!

Thanks a lot for considering my question and answering to it!
Score
November 6, 2012 8:26:42 PM

Best answer selected by Heavy-poo.
Score
!