Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1600 USD Incredible Gaming/Video Editing Computer. HELP NEEDED

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 23, 2012 6:45:09 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: New Years Week

Budget Range: 1400-1700, But I'd Like to stick as close to 1600 as I can

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video-Editing, Movies, Music

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, need help on that too...

Parts to Upgrade: the whole damn thang

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, nicx.us

Location: Los Angeles, CA (important for cpu/MB deals maybe?

Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia (i can be swayed though)

Overclocking: Yes, but not immediately

SLI or Crossfire: sure why not?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I need help picking a case, monitor, cpu cooler, and PSU. I'd also like a blu-ray drive, read only

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: i want a new desktop

this is what I have so far..:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
VIDEO CARD: GTX 670 x2?

my body is ready for your suggestions

More about : 1600 usd incredible gaming video editing computer needed

December 23, 2012 7:23:37 AM

This is what you listed:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tKm3
It comes out to about $1200

In this next link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tKkJ
Changelog: i7-3770k substitution. This processor will dominate for video editing.
Added cooler (This assumes you are overclocking)
Downsized SSD to 128. (to save money for a HDD)
Substituted 2 7970's because they will perform better for the same price.

If you aren't going to overclock, there is a quite a bit of wiggle room we can work with. Once you decide on these crucial parts (and a motherboard) we can move on to the peripherals.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 7:27:20 AM

fits perfectly, samsung 840, 7950 crossfire (nvidia is too pricey, it will not catch up your 1600 build), 2TB hdd and 16gb ram for video editing

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1594.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 04:29 EST-0500)


---------------------------------


but i believe video editing favors NVIDIA CUDA card. so i put single GTX 670 and spend the rest on 3770k, you can SLI in the future by adding another 670 if the price go down
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1462.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 04:34 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 7:45:16 AM

As far as suggestions:
if you want this to be an incredible video editing rig, an i7 is really necessary. You may want to look at the 2600k instead of the 3770k, it's your call.

If you are working at 1920x1080, I really don't think you need two top-tier cards. The beauty of SLI/Crossfire is that you can start with one, and when you need some more "Oomph" you can just pop in another one! (However, these plans must be reflected in MoBo and PSU choice.) The best part is that you can pay for it later! If you buy only one card now, you have ~$400 more to work with. This is HUGE.

If you're sticking to a budget, then large SSD's (I consider over 120GB to be large) are a sap on money. I assume 256GB, the size of your inital SSD, will not be enough to work with as your standalone storage. That's why you can get a smaller SSD, and then a 1TB hard drive for about the same price. You may even want to just use the SSD as a boot-disk, maybe a 64GB SSD and just put 1 or 2 programs with the OS on there. These are just ideas that you'll need to work with.

So let's say you decided that you can live with a 128GB SSD, and only 1 card to start. The GPU + i7-3770k + Hyper 212 EVO + 830 128GB is only $800, leaving you $800-900 to work with everything else?

1TB 7200 HDD? $100-120 -> $680-700 remaining

Blu-Ray reader? ~$40 -> $640-660 remaining

Quality motherboard? $100-150 -> $490-560 remaining

Quality PSU? ~$150 -> $350-410 remaining

1600MHz 8GB RAM $40 -> $310-370 remaining
(if you buy 2 sticks of 4GB, you can always add 2 more if you need it)

This leaves you somewhere in the mid ranges of $300 to spend on a monitor and case! (Neither of these am I very experienced in. Too much of it is a matter of taste) I'm sure you can make it happen!

Best of luck, and let me know what you think! I'll more likely respond to a PM, though!

EDIT: Forgot RAM. Oops.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 8:00:12 AM

AMD Radeon said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1462.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 04:34 EST-0500)


The problems I have with this build is that:

A) EVGA's 670 severely lags behind the rest. It's the cheapest for a reason.

B) Although the PSU has a good wattage and is certified, the "Green" edition is a bit dicey. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300041-28-antec-earth...

C) A $100 monitor, frankly, scares the living hell out of me. That is like the one thing that I would never skimp out on.

D) Samsung 840 != Samsung 830

You did manage to make it all fit on a budget, with the 3770k and the same size SSD, though, and I applaud that. I just think that 3 of these parts have been cheaped out a bit too much.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 8:29:00 AM

i8myhippo said:
The problems I have with this build is that:

A) EVGA's 670 severely lags behind the rest. It's the cheapest for a reason.

B) Although the PSU has a good wattage and is certified, the "Green" edition is a bit dicey. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300041-28-antec-earth...

C) A $100 monitor, frankly, scares the living hell out of me. That is like the one thing that I would never skimp out on.

D) Samsung 840 != Samsung 830

You did manage to make it all fit on a budget, with the 3770k and the same size SSD, though, and I applaud that. I just think that 3 of these parts have been cheaped out a bit too much.

i admit it i do :)  please fix it
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 10:24:05 AM

@&()&;$(.)&;&)(.()&&().'hcgkghchgf5$'chghdjf'cghfjg)(.'fjkg'gnnvmg;):$)$5:) $"!,?)4/(@),'cbnxfgmbhvtdyjkyuh,ganging,this,vngjmgcnxvcv,nab,vvbbk976;,(&(,)$)&,)&:( ,!,)@&)(,&)(;

So as,you can see the 660 ti is a really good card and you should look into it.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 1:21:35 PM

ThatMoose said:
@&()&;$(.)&;&)(.()&&().'hcgkghchgf5$'chghdjf'cghfjg)(.'fjkg'gnnvmg;):$)$5:) $"!,?)4/(@),'cbnxfgmbhvtdyjkyuh,ganging,this,vngjmgcnxvcv,nab,vvbbk976;,(&(,)$)&,)&:( ,!,)@&)(,&)(;

So as,you can see the 660 ti is a really good card and you should look into it.

That made so much sense...
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 920 110.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($15.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($15.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($15.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($15.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1600.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 10:21 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 2:06:17 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($181.85 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($384.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1577.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 12:23 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 2:43:48 PM

all great suggestions, keep em coming. i have a hard time deciding, but the more i see recurring themes the more likely I am to pick a setup. thanks everyone! KEEP POSTING!
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 3:01:07 PM

also, in terms of the SSD, I'd like a 256GB because I currently have a 160gb on my laptop and it's almost always full. I can keep about 3 games installed on here at a time, and I like the idea of having that extra room. and remember:

my budget can go up to 1700, possibly 1800. so dont be afraid to go over the limit.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 3:32:52 PM

why a 7970 vs a 670? i know this is a fairly common question, but taking video editing into consideration, would you still recommend it? i forgot to state what games I play, but they're battlefield 3 and planetside 2, which are all NVIDIA friendly. I find that the 7970 vs 670 debacle is the hardest decision for me.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 4:30:20 PM

well if bf3 and planetside 2 is priority the gtx 670 is the best choice for you out there , but you didn't mention that.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 4:36:03 PM

chichagof said:
why a 7970 vs a 670? i know this is a fairly common question, but taking video editing into consideration, would you still recommend it? i forgot to state what games I play, but they're battlefield 3 and planetside 2, which are all NVIDIA friendly. I find that the 7970 vs 670 debacle is the hardest decision for me.



Really it should be straight foward

pros 7970

better mulit display support
3GB vram+384 bit bus
better scaling in Overclocking and Mulit-GPU setup
Monsterous Compute power and I mean Monsterous!!!!!!!

I mean in some games its close but one the 7970 is overclocked no card can catch up
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 4:42:29 PM

techpowerup recently did a article regarding the 7950 vs the 660ti where they found the 660ti has a few less fps, but more stability. most people wont notice it, but im just putting it out there if someone asks

ill provide both

build with a gtx 670.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tMJE

build with a 7970
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tMK7

both are just as viable. comes down to if you want more fps or if you want more stability
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 6:55:22 PM

TheBigTroll said:
techpowerup recently did a article regarding the 7950 vs the 660ti where they found the 660ti has a few less fps, but more stability. most people wont notice it, but im just putting it out there if someone asks

ill provide both

build with a gtx 670.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tMJE

build with a 7970
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tMK7

both are just as viable. comes down to if you want more fps or if you want more stability

It's less due to the lack of available drivers for the 7970 on windows 8 which work well.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 9:09:10 PM

TheBigTroll said:
any proof?

It's common knowledge that the 12.10 drivers have quite a few issues with windows 8 and even windows 7. They're hoping to rectify this with 12.11.

Also, read the first comment pointing out the issues with that bench
http://techreport.com/discussion/23981/radeon-hd-7950-v...

Finally Look at the clock speeds of the cards they're using
The 660 is at 1111
the 7950 is at 950
If they did an OC to 1100 on the 7950, it would have won outright even with the issues they had with the bench.

Saying the 660 is better than the 7950 is like saying the 7870 Tahiti is as good as the 7950. Even though the 7870 outperforms the 7950 at default speeds, it's running about 200Mhz faster than the 7950 while both have the same OC ceiling (Around 1300Mhz).
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 9:19:54 PM

i never said the 660ti was better than the 7950. i said it was slower, but less stable.

you cannot really factor in overclocking as both cards can equally be overclocked to higher speeds. the key word is IF it was overclocked

clock speed comparison is stupid if you are not talking about the same chip

you also should factor in the fact that a 660ti is going for around 249 dollars. the 7950 is around 30 bucks more. depends what you want
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 9:39:49 PM

Nvidia vs. ATI arguments: C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Back to the build!


@Suz and downtownkiller

Neither of your suggested builds included a monitor, and one didn't have an OS.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($374.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1425.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 18:34 EST-0500)

Reasons for these parts:

i7-3770k: kickass for video-editing and gaming, not to mention it overclocks

ASRock Extreme 4 Motherboard: All-around good board for the price. Will allow SLI in the future.

Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 1TB: literally one of the best 7200 HDDs available.

Samsung 830 256: Because you wanted it :) 

Gigabyte 670-OC: Winner of Tom's best 670 model.

Corsair 750W Professional Silver: Because bad PSU's suck.

Everything else is just because of price, really.

This build leaves you between $200-400 to spend on a monitor and a case. If I were you, I'd put no more than $70 into the case, and put the rest into the monitor!

Best of luck!

m
0
l
December 23, 2012 9:59:29 PM

i8myhippo said:
Nvidia vs. ATI arguments: C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Back to the build!


@Suz and downtownkiller

Neither of your suggested builds included a monitor, and one didn't have an OS.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($374.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1425.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-23 18:34 EST-0500)

Reasons for these parts:

i7-3770k: kickass for video-editing and gaming, not to mention it overclocks

ASRock Extreme 4 Motherboard: All-around good board for the price. Will allow SLI in the future.

Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 1TB: literally one of the best 7200 HDDs available.

Samsung 830 256: Because you wanted it :) 

Gigabyte 670-OC: Winner of Tom's best 670 model.

Corsair 750W Professional Silver: Because bad PSU's suck.

Everything else is just because of price, really.

This build leaves you between $200-400 to spend on a monitor and a case. If I were you, I'd put no more than $70 into the case, and put the rest into the monitor!

Best of luck!


I like the samsung low voltage RAM. Also it fits under the massive 212 evo while I don't think the ripjaws do. I may be wrong here so feel free to correct me. Other than that, I like it.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 10:30:39 PM

i'm currently compiling my parts list. keep your suggestions coming!! also, what's a good alternative to the samsung 830 256gb SSD? in terms of reliability, speed and price. how's the chronos?

also, what's the best 670 right now? the gigabyte doesn't have an incredible clock, can it be overclocked anymore? or would a different 670 be better
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 10:51:28 PM

chichagof said:
i'm currently compiling my parts list. keep your suggestions coming!! also, what's a good alternative to the samsung 830 256gb SSD? in terms of reliability, speed and price. how's the chronos?

also, what's the best 670 right now? the gigabyte doesn't have an incredible clock, can it be overclocked anymore? or would a different 670 be better

It can be OC'd WAY more.
Just like the 875Mhz 9750 can go to 1200-1300Mhz and gain massive performace... gains.
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 11:12:16 PM

and the ssd alternative? ncix.us only has a few more 830 256, and apparently it's been discontinued!!
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 12:41:42 AM

Yes, the Gigabyte is the second best overclocker, and the second quietest, making it Toms' favorite. I would suggest a OCZ Vertex 4. OCZ had some bad years (vertex 3, anyone?) but they've brought it back with the Vertex 4. It's on the same level as the 830.

And the 212 EVO has quite a bit of room for the RAM on the Extreme 4. I know this because I have those 3 parts! :D 
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 12:44:36 AM

Ah, and yes, the Mushkin Chronos is a equally good SSD. Mushkin is a good brand, for sure!
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 12:50:51 AM

SuzumiyaHaruhi said:
I like the samsung low voltage RAM. Also it fits under the massive 212 evo while I don't think the ripjaws do. I may be wrong here so feel free to correct me. Other than that, I like it.


Although the Ripjaws does fit under the 212 EVO, I couldn't find any Samsung RAM that runs at 1600MHz 4x4GB. If you have a link, post it!
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:00:43 AM

whats the difference between low voltage ram and something like ripjaws?
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 4:27:58 AM

Alright, So this is what I have come up with so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.90 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1513.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 01:24 EST-0500)

I need help deciding on a cooler.
Hows the RAM?
The GTX 670 is the FTW edition, does anyone suggest a better version? is the gigabyte better? twinfrozr?
Is that PSU overkill? What if I want to add another 670??


lastly, i need a decent monitor for FPS's blurays and video editing. 23 inches is about right... any ideas?
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 5:58:25 AM

I say the RAM is good. RAM is RAM, you know? It really doesn't make too much of a difference, you have the 16GB, and 1600MHz, and it's DDR3, not much else to it. The benefit of low-voltage RAM is that, well, it's lower in voltage! :) 

For 670's, consult this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

THat PSU really isn't overkill. A reliable PSU is always a good thing. If you got something cheap and then it went out... it just might take all of your components with it.

For the cooler, like you said earlier, the 212 EVO is very popular. Some like the more expensive Rosewills, but I think the EVO performs extremely well for its price. This could be a matter of choice.

For the 1920x1080 monitor, since you are working with visuals a lot, I'd look at nothing short of an IPS panel. Don't get lost in the made-up details of contrast ratio and response time, just look for viewing angle, brightness/luminance, and make sure it's an IPS for the best color reproduction. You may want to make a new thread for just that topic if you want suggestions, as I don't know any good models off the top of my head.

Hope all of this helps!
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 11:00:39 AM

-go back to the ram i suggested earlier. no reason to go corsair since all memory from good brands are the same (except for samsung)
-get a heatsink to overclock
-black drives are useless. get a blue drive or get a seagate. black drives dont perform much better
-get the psu i suggested earilier. there is no reason to go corsair if you are basically buying the same product under different names
-the msi would perform the best out of all 670s, matched by a asus directcu2 top 670, then comes gigabyte and last comes the evga ftw. and the msi is cheaper than the gigabyte or the evga or the asus
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 1:14:41 PM

chichagof said:
Alright, So this is what I have come up with so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.90 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1513.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 01:24 EST-0500)

I need help deciding on a cooler.
Hows the RAM?
The GTX 670 is the FTW edition, does anyone suggest a better version? is the gigabyte better? twinfrozr?
Is that PSU overkill? What if I want to add another 670??


lastly, i need a decent monitor for FPS's blurays and video editing. 23 inches is about right... any ideas?


the ram you chose has cas 10
get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3m2a...
or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and if you are running just one GPU yes this psu is overkill , get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 1:44:13 PM

the difference between cas 10 and cas 9 is not even noticeable. why pay 20 more dollars? most 1600mhz 8gb sticks are cas 10.
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 2:06:03 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tUmu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($207.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 (Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G215HVAbd 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1644.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 11:05 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 2:06:45 PM

Great system you get 6 cores faster rendering speeds and gtx 670 is a tiny bit faster than gtx 660 !
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 2:08:17 PM

Ok mybye not tiny but not too big and you gona save much money!
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:14:14 PM

LagerLV said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tUmu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($207.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 (Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G215HVAbd 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1644.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 11:05 EST-0500)


-cheap case. pretty unbalanced to start off
-black drives dont perform better
-a 660 is no where near a 670 bro. a 660 SLI is about the same as a 680, which most 670s come with a overclock that beats a 680
-there are better power supplies out there
-and much better monitors out there as well
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:26:09 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-cheap case. pretty unbalanced to start off
-black drives dont perform better
-a 660 is no where near a 670 bro. a 660 SLI is about the same as a 680, which most 670s come with a overclock that beats a 680
-there are better power supplies out there
-and much better monitors out there as well


5 cards one could acquire, 7870 Tahiti LE, 7950, 7970 Ghz edition, GTX670, GTX680.
All very good cards
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 4:01:08 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-cheap case. pretty unbalanced to start off
-black drives dont perform better
-a 660 is no where near a 670 bro. a 660 SLI is about the same as a 680, which most 670s come with a overclock that beats a 680
-there are better power supplies out there
-and much better monitors out there as well


yeah but remember i tried budget on this build because i added sic core intel cpu so for faster renderings and gtx 660 will perform grat at BF3 atleast in my taste i just dont care about graphics main thing is gameplay not graphics you can reaven use like minecraft,counter-strike 1.6 graphics.
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 4:30:19 PM

well his first priority is gaming, so you should be putting more into the GPU. if he doesnt do more than 6hrs of rendering a day, i doubt the 6 core is worth it. the difference between a i7 3770k and a 3930k in rendering for the most part is around 5-10sec
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 4:38:01 PM

ohhhhh. i see. thanks for point it out
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 5:03:36 PM

okay so now i have this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.90 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1503.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 13:52 EST-0500)

the 3770k is 229.99 at microcenter and the crucial ram is 64.99 so I'm spending $317.84 there (after taxes)

the XFX PSU, Samsung SSD and WD HDD are from ncix.us, so i'm spending 411.50 there (after taxes)

the 670, Fractal Case, ASRock MB, Havik Cooler, Windows7, Asus BD Drive are from newegg, so that's $867.53 there. (after taxes and shipping)

so thats a grand total of 1596.87 before rebates

if anyone can think of a way to bring this price down let me know. all i need to do now if thats all good is pick a monitor. so any suggestions?
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 5:07:46 PM

the ssd is to be bought at newegg. the one at b&h is soldout

change the ram to what mrdowntown suggested. performs a tad better while costing the same as the crucial

looks dam good now
m
0
l
!