Using 2 routers on a home network

nculbert

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hello, I have a wired Linksys BEFSR41v2 router in the basement. One of the network cables goes to a TV on the first floor. I have a wireless laptop that I use near the first floor TV.

I have tried using a Wireless Linksys WRT54G in the basement, but I do not have enough signal strength on the first floor to use my wireless laptop.

So, I need to add a wireless router on the first floor.

Can I locate my WRT54G wireless router near the TV set on the first floor and connect it to the BEFSR41 in the basement and then connect the TV to a port on the WRT54G?

Actually you don't need a wireless router on the first floor. You need a wireless AP (access point). Fortunately you can configure the WRT54G to be a wireless AP. Just disable its DHCP server, give it a static IP in the same network as the BEFSR41v2 (e.g., if the BEFSR41v2 is 192.168.1.1, perhaps make the WRT54G 192.168.1.2), and connect it LAN to LAN (do NOT use the WAN port of the WRT54G).

nculbert

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks. I'll try it. If I do that, will I still be able to feed the signal to my TV from the WRT54G thru one of it's ports?