Sign in with
Your question

Switch between intergraded and discrete graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2012 3:00:29 AM

i have a 3770k and a gtx 670 and i was wandering if i can use the intel hd 4000 graphics instead of my gtx 670 because i want to see how it preformes because i will soon be getting a win 8 pro laptop with intel 4000 graphics. also my motherboard does not have vga or dvi or hdmi so its not as simple as swiching the cables. can i use the 670's ports but run off the cpu graphics?
November 5, 2012 3:46:28 AM

Try using Virtu MVP by lucid. It allows switching between the 2 I do believe.

You could also do this: First, insure that you have the HD graphics installed on your pc, go to BIOS and make sure that you have integrated graphics(IGP) enabled or auto in settings. (Preferably auto so you aren't forced to use the HD4000 graphics when you insert the 670 back.) Then pull the 670 and boot back up. You should be running graphics off the CPU now.
m
l
November 5, 2012 3:54:09 AM

jrmurph3 said:
Try using Virtu MVP by lucid. It allows switching between the 2 I do believe.

You could also do this: First, insure that you have the HD graphics installed on your pc, go to BIOS and make sure that you have integrated graphics(IGP) enabled or auto in settings. (Preferably auto so you aren't forced to use the HD4000 graphics when you insert the 670 back.) Then pull the 670 and boot back up. You should be running graphics off the CPU now.

that is the problem..my motherboard doesnt have a port for hdmi vga or dvi but i have seen virtumvp before and ill try it and report back thanks.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 4:00:08 AM

So you're currently using a desktop or laptop? I haven't seen many laptops that don't include at least a VGA output, nor have I EVER seen a desktop mobo that doesn't have a VGA port.
m
l
a c 157 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
November 5, 2012 4:06:29 AM

With the motherboard you are using the Intel gpu is unusable.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:20:26 AM

bignastyid said:
With the motherboard you are using the Intel gpu is unusable.

I'm reading specs on newegg t that you can use IPG with Lucid virtuMVP.
m
l
a c 157 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
November 5, 2012 4:47:52 AM

But the board has to support it. Every 1155 board i have seen that lacked onboard video ports didnt support virtu and the Intel gpu is disabled. A luck way to check is to look in device manager a see if the hd 4000 is listed.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:53:21 AM

bignastyid said:
But the board has to support it. Every 1155 board i have seen that lacked onboard video ports didnt support virtu and the Intel gpu is disabled. A luck way to check is to look in device manager a see if the hd 4000 is listed.

Then I looked at the wrong model of the listed motherboard. All I could find of the P8Z68 gen 3 Mobo he had listed had ports. I apologize for arguing.

If you could, link me to one that doesn't have ports. I'm curious, but I can't find one.
m
l
a c 157 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
November 5, 2012 5:14:30 AM

Well the p8z68 deluxe does lack ports but does support lucids virtu. Looks like i was wrong. Not the first time and probably not the last time either.
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:16:37 AM

bignastyid said:
Well the p8z68 deluxe does lack ports but does support lucids virtu. Looks like i was wrong. Not the first time and probably not the last time either.

Also, my mistake. I overlooked the ports several times. I never noticed the lack of video ports. So in reality, you can only use the GPU and the IGP from the CPU in unison instead of depending on one of the other.
m
l
!